Brothers remanded over NA robberies

Two brothers were yesterday remanded to the prison on charges of armed robbery, after a court was told that they were positively identified by the victims.

Tony Samaroo, 32, a farmer, of De Veldt, Berbice River, and Alan Samaroo, 17, of Angoy’s Avenue, New Amsterdam were not required to plead to the indictable charges when they appeared before Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus at the New Amsterdam Magistrate’s Court.

It is alleged that on September 8, 2013, at the Mayor and Town Council Scheme, New Amsterdam, Berbice, they robbed Kirk Bristol and Winston Benjamin, using a dangerous or offensive weapon that is suspected to be a gun.

Alan Samaroo
Alan Samaroo
 Tony Samaroo
Tony Samaroo

The court was told that they robbed Bristol of a Samsung cellular phone, valued $20,000 and $20,000 cash and Benjamin of one gold finger ring, valued $60,000 and $20,000 cash.

Police Corporal Prosecutor Orin Joseph objected to bail for the accused, saying that they were identified by both Bristol and Benjamin as the persons who committed the crimes. He added that the weapon used was an unlicensed gun and if bail should be granted there could be a reoccurrence of the crimes.

When the brothers were taken into the court, they created a commotion by speaking loudly and using expletives. When given a chance to speak, a tearful Tony told the court that he was harassed and beaten by police. He said the officers “kick meh up all in meh back, belly and ribs… watch [pointing to his upper eyelid] them burst meh eye top.”

He also told the court that he did not have any idea why the police were harassing him. He indicated that he is a farmer who plants greens and works hard. “Last month I come out the river and deh by me mother. I don’t know anything about robbery,” he said, while emphasising that several times that “I don’t Thief.”

Alan, meanwhile, also told the court that police officers beat him and his brother for no reason at all. “They lash meh in meh eyes,” he said, while adding that a detective took a baton and hit him after he used indecent language. He said he used such language after he got angry at the officers who were hitting them. He bore an injury to his left thigh.

Both were remanded to prison until their next court date, which upset them and resulted in them raising their voices. Their actions caused Magistrate Isaacs-Marcus to temporarily adjourn the court until they were escorted out by lawmen.

They are to return to court on September 27.

Around the Web