Duo caught on camera during $9.2M store break-in

-court hears

Two men were yesterday charged with breaking into the Central Electronics Store and carting off $9.2M in cash and electronics, after allegedly being caught in the act on the store’s security camera.

David Lynch, 37, of Lot 148 Cooper Street, Albouystown and Raymond Harvey, of Lot 16 Duncan Street, Albouystown were both remanded to prison after denying the break and enter and larceny charge read against them at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

It was alleged that during October 5 to October 7, at Robb Street, they broke and entered the store and stole a quantity of electronic items and cash amounting to $9,175,168, which was the property of Chet Singh.

Prosecutor Bharrat Mangru told Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry that on October 5, Singh secured his business place and left. When he returned on October 7, he discovered a door on the ground floor of the building broken.

Mangru said that Singh then checked the footage recorded by the store’s Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) camera and he saw a video of the driver of PEE 716 driving up to his store. The footage also showed the man with an accomplice breaking into the store and removing items and placing them in the car. They left immediately after. Investigations were carried out and Lynch and Harvey were later arrested and charged.

But attorney Paul Fung-A-Fat, who represented Lynch, said that it was initially stated that Lynch was seen on Singh’s security camera footage but then the police officers later changed their statement and said that the person seen in the surveillance tape was not him. He added that the police have no evidence against Lynch. He noted that his client is the father of six children and a labourer and made an application for reasonable to be granted.

Harvey, who was unrepresented by an attorney, said that he is a miner and works in the interior.

Mangru objected to bail being granted based on the seriousness and prevalence of the offence. He also felt that if granted bail, it was very likely that Lynch and Harvey may not return for trial.

As a result, bail was refused and the case was adjourned until November 8, when it would be called for report and fixtures.

Around the Web