An East Bank woman and her family had the scare of their lives on Sunday afternoon when a utility pole crashed into their home.
Elizabeth Fiedtkou of Lot 12 Prospect Public Road, East Bank Demerara, told Stabroek News that she was home with her granddaughter when the Guyana Power and Light Inc (GPL) pole fell. “I was in the kitchen and then I heard something go off and I looked around but I didn’t know that the post had fallen until I heard the two boys who were cleaning my car shout that the lantern post fall,” she said.
Shortly after, she saw a spark in the hall of her home.
“I see the fire shoot straight under the chair and catch on fire so I run in front and snatch my granddaughter and run outside and I call them boys and they run and plug out the main switch and out the fire,” Fiedtkou explained.
A wire caught on fire and damaged her television set and cable box.
Fiedtkou, who said that another pole also fell two houses away, noted that a GPL representative later visited her and indicated that the company would replace any damaged appliances.
Fiedtkou said that while she had never made a report about the pole to GPL, one of her neighbours did albeit to no avail. “My neighbour said that she reported it over and over to GPL but they never came and did anything about it,” she explained.
Stabroek News tried contacting GPL’s Public Relations Officer for a comment on the situation but was unsuccessful.