Dudus’ assets seized; Gov’t facing legal action from relatives

(Jamaica Observer) The assets of former Tivoli Gardens strongman Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke were on Wednesday ordered forfeited to the State.

The order, made by Justice Lennox Campbell, comes more than two years after the assets were frozen when Coke was extradited to the United States to face gun and drug-running charges. He is now serving time in a US prison after pleading guilty to lesser charges last year.

The order was made in default, as Coke was not represented in court to challenge the application which was made by the Government’s Asset Recovery Agency.

Coke’s assets include his business, Presidential Click Promotions Limited.

Meanwhile, the Asset Recovery Agency on Wednesday withdrew its claim for the forfeiture of the assets of businessman Justin O’Gilvie and his wife, as well as relatives of Coke.

Following the withdrawal, Justice Lennox Campbell gave O’Gilvie, his wife and Coke’s relatives permission to pursue damages resulting from their assets being frozen for more than two years.

O’Gilvie’s assets, including that of his companies, Incomparable Enterprises and Bulls Eye Security Services Limited, those of his wife Maxine; Coke’s mother, Patricia Halliburton (now deceased); and the mother of his child, Stephanie Gayle, were frozen in June 2010.

The assets were frozen following an application by the Assets Recovery Agency, which had claimed that the assets were given to Coke’s relatives and friends to launder. Coke was, at the time, being pursued by law enforcement personnel to effect an arrest warrant for his extradition to the United States on drug and gunrunning charges.

At the same time, a battle is brewing between O’Gilvie and the National Commercial Bank (NCB), which has given him until January 29 to close the accounts of his businesses and those of this wife and children, his attorney Paul Beswick said.

Beswick told the Jamaica Observer that at the next court date on January 25 he will be seeking an order for the accounts to remain open.

According to the lawyer, he could not see why the bank would want to close the accounts as his client did nothing wrong. “Not a thing can be attributed to Mr O’Gilvie,” Beswick said. “He doesn’t even have a traffic ticket.”

According to the attorney, five other banks have refused to do business with his client and that O’Gilvie’s businesses would crash if NCB closed the accounts. He alleged that the alienation of his client was due to his “unfair” targeting by the Asset Recovery Agency and that there must be systems in place to prevent banks from closing people’s accounts without sufficient evidence. “Everybody is at risk,” Beswick said.

Last month, the High Court lifted the freeze on the assets, saying the agency had no case.

Comments  

T&T PM: All wasn’t well with Tobago ferry procurement

(Trinidad Express) Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley admitted yesterday that something went drastically wrong and was crooked in the procurement of the passenger ferry the Ocean Flower 2.

Chile court ruling ends abortion ban; new law allows in limited cases

SANTIAGO, (Reuters) – A Chilean court on Monday ruled that a law legalizing abortion in certain cases is constitutional, a win for President Michelle Bachelet’s centre-left coalition and for groups that have campaigned for years against the country’s strict ban.

Brazil’s Lula on the road, eyes comeback despite graft conviction

LAGARTO, Brazil, (Reuters) – Former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Monday accused Brazil’s government of undoing social progress made during his years in office and vowed to restore it if he was allowed to run again next year.

Chinese construction company told to demolish illegal buildings

(Trinidad Express) Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) has given Shanghai Construc-tion Group (SCG) until noon today to vacate and demolish buildings which have been illegally erected and occupied for more than a year on the eastern side of the National Cycling Velodrome in Couva.

Venezuela ‘congress in resistance’ rejects new super-assembly

CARACAS (Reuters) – Venezuela’s opposition-controlled congress yesterday rejected the self-proclaimed lawmaking authority of a new legislative body elected last month at the behest of President Nicolas Maduro, widening the political divide in the crisis-hit country.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×