Belize PM denies bargaining with gang leaders

(Jamaica Gleaner) Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow has insisted that his administration did not negotiate with known gang leaders following last week’s murder of four people whose bodies were found in an apartment building.

Prime Minister Barrow has also distanced his administration from reports that the gang members were paid BDZ$40,000 (US$20,000) to maintain peace and not retaliate.

Last week, Prime Minister Barrow told reporters that he led a delegation, which included National Security Minister John Saldivar for talks with the leaders of the George Street Gang and that an arrangement had been reached for them to leave the area and not seek to retaliate against people they believe committed the murders.

Comments  

Oxfam says Haiti director admitted using prostitutes

LONDON,  (Reuters) – Oxfam’s country director in Haiti admitted to using prostitutes at his residence during a relief mission before resigning in 2011, according to an internal investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct released by the charity yesterday.

Hunt continuing in T&T for ISIS cell members

(Trinidad Guardian) Networks of the ISIS cell in T&T which Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley referred to in Parliament are spread from Aranjuez, Charlieville and Enterprise to Rio Claro among other locations, a national security official has said.

T&T Govt pays Cuffie’s $2.4m medical bill

(Trinidad Express) Government Minister Maxie Cuffie’s medical treatment and recovery has cost the Trinidad and Tobago taxpayers $2.49 million.

Jamaican links up with 2 Trinis to gain control of Guardian Holdings

(Trinidad Express) It took two powerful Trinidadian business families, the buying and selling of millions of shares, the amalgamation of several companies and a secret lock-up agreement to give one man—Jamaican billionaire Michael Lee-Chin—a path to control of the publicly traded, Guardian Holdings Ltd (GHL) of Trindad.

Haiti president says many aid organizations hid misconduct

PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) – Haiti’s president said on Friday that sexual misconduct by staff of British charity Oxfam was only the tip of an “iceberg” and called for investigations into Doctors Without Borders and other aid organizations which came to the country after its 2010 earthquake.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×