Fire destroys Festival City house

The house ablaze

A fire tore through a house in Festival City early yesterday morning leaving its three occupants without a home.
The fire reportedly originated in a bedroom on the bottom flat of the two-storey house. Eyewitnesses say that it quickly spread from the wooden bottom flat where the family of three resided to the unoccupied top wooden flat, which was eventually destroyed.

Twenty-four-year-old Alicia Bernard, who stayed in the bottom flat with her child’s father, Randy Gentle, 24, and her son, was at home with her son when the fire started. The woman explained that she was sitting on her front steps with her son at around 9:15am when she noticed smoke rising from the back of the house.

Bernard said that as she entered her front door she was greeted by a large burst of flames coming from her bedroom. At this point she quickly vacated the premises with her young son. Within minutes the entire house was engulfed in flames.

The woman speculated that the blaze had started on a mattress in her bottom flat apartment, but was unsure what ignited it since she said nothing had been left burning. Bernard was adamant that no candles, lamps or mosquito coils were left burning in the room. She also said that the residence was at the time not receiving any electricity.

The house ablaze
The house ablaze

Residents say that Bernard fainted while lamenting her house being on fire. The woman was  taken to the hospital and later brought back to what used to be her home. By the time she had returned to the place she had called home for some time it was no more.

One resident said that efforts to form a bucket brigade to engage the fire were rendered futile as the heat emanating from the blaze made getting close impossible. Another resident, who reportedly called the fire service, said that the call was made almost immediately after the fire was spotted (9:15am), and that the Fire Service arrived at the scene at around 9:25am.

By this time,  most of the building’s wooden parts had been completed gutted.
The woman said that most, if not all of  her possessions, including important documents and clothing had been destroyed in the fire.

Bernard said that all of the clothes she had accumulated for her unborn child had been destroyed. She said that the only things that were not destroyed were her son’s games clothes which were on a line drying. She is currently staying with her sister, who resides just next door to the destroyed building, until she is once again able to stand on her own.

Comments  

Billions diverted by prison unrest partly to blame for GuySuCo severance shortfall in budget – Trotman

Alliance for Change (AFC) leader Raphael Trotman yesterday said the diversion of billions to the security sector after the destruction of the Camp Street prison was partly responsible for the government not budgeting the full sum for severance payments to laid off sugar workers.

Cops seek motive for Pomeroon murders

  The police were up to yesterday afternoon still working to ascertain the motive behind the murders of Ambrose Baharally and Martin Godette, the Pomeroon farmers who were shot dead on Sunday and a potential witness was taken into custody to assist with the investigation.

Ramotar claims gov’t ignored promised India loans for sugar industry

Former President Donald Ramotar has accused the current government of accepting loans from India that he initiated except those pertaining to the rehabilitation of the sugar industry but State Minister Joseph Harmon says he is unaware of the claim and has urged that the former head of state prove it.

Child rapist sentenced to 45 years

Omadat Persaud, who was on trial for raping a five-year-old girl in 2015, was yesterday afternoon sentenced to 45 years in jail after a jury unanimously convicted him of the crime.

Mother urges justice for vendor killed by city cop

The mother of Marlon Fredericks, the mentally-challenged vendor who was fatally shot by a member of the city constabulary on Sunday, yesterday called for justice for her son, while saying that an autopsy found that he died of a gunshot wound to his chest.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×