Brassington not saying any more on hiring for Marriott construction

Following a flurry of press on the reasons government gave for the non-hiring of Guyanese workers at the Marriott hotel worksite at Kingston, CEO of Atlantic Hotels Inc Winston Brassington has declined to give an explanation of his recent statements justifying the arrangement.

Brassington, in a brief telephone conversation with Stabroek News yesterday, stressed that he had already said what he had to say and does not need to say anything else following the heated debates in the public about the issue.

Winston Brassington
Winston Brassington

Observers have questioned the validity of the response of Brassington of a few days ago – that a better contract price had been contingent on the contractor having the flexibility to hire who they wanted – saying that it does not make sense. Brassington had also stated that the Chinese were more skilled and that issue of language barrier would not exist with the current arrangement.

Those observers wanted to know whether the labour charges for paying the Guyanese workers would have amounted to the difference in cost between the original sum of US$65 million and the final figure of US$51 million – a difference of US$14 million.

The Guyana Trades Union Congress (GTUC) in a statement last week cried foul at the government for the Chinese only worker arrangement said that this was a clear violation of the rights of Guyanese workers and the country sovereignty.

Brassington in a statement last week to the Government Information Agency (GINA) said that one of the conditions of the contract with Shanghai Construction Group – the contractor building the Marriott Hotel – is that the company would supply its own labour. He said that this was meant to ensure the project’s speedy completion.

According to Brassington, the construction company said it could lower its contract cost provided it could bring its own labour.

Brassington said that despite being put to public tender, only two companies submitted bids for the hotel’s construction. “This was after 23 firms initially indicated their interest and seven were shortlisted,” he said in a GINA press release last week.

He said too that Shanghai Construction Group’s initial bid, the lower of the two bidding companies, was US$65 million and it was able to lower the cost to US$51 million with the condition that it was able to control who it employs at the site.

He said Shanghai Construction Group examined the level of skills available for the project as well as the levels of productivity. Brassington noted that while the company was asked to employ locals, it was obvious that if the construction of the flagship hotel was to be completed within the specified time, it must have the flexibility of the inputs. He said that the company would be complying with Guyana’s laws and norms.

Brassington also gave a televised statement in which he marvelled at the level of productivity of the Chinese workers and said that what they have achieved so far at the Marriott construction site must be recognised as some kind of record for speed of construction.

Noting that the workers on the site are but temporary and will leave once the construction is completed, he said that with the hotel in operation some 200 Guyanese will be employed on a permanent basis.

Comments  

Three held over Pomeroon double murder

Three persons, including the widow of one of the two Pomeroon farmers shot dead on Sunday, have been taken into custody and police say one of them led detectives to the location of an arms cache that allegedly belonged to one of the deceased.

Mazaruni prison contract to go ahead

The $3.5 billion contract for the Mazaruni Prison expansion, over which BK International Inc.

Family of slain vendor files complaint against police over conflicting autopsy finding

The family of Marlon Fredericks, the mentally-challenged vendor who was fatally shot by a member of the city constabulary on Sunday, has lodged a report at the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) after a police force report on his cause of death contradicted the autopsy report.

Cops seek six suspects over De Velde shooting

Police in ‘B’ Division are searching for six suspects in connection with the recent shooting at De Velde, in the Berbice River.

Grade Six pupils sitting mock exams

Grade Six students are sitting a series of mock examinations designed to prepare them for this year’s National Grade Six Assessment (NGSA) scheduled to be held on the 28 and 29 of March.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×