Jagdeo involvement in Delta pullout preposterous -source

Delta Airlines has dismissed claims that its decision to withdraw its services from Guyana was influenced in anyway by complaints from former president Bharat Jagdeo and a source close to him has dismissed the suggestion as preposterous.

“The difficult decision that Delta Airlines made was based exclusively on our financial results with no other factors playing a role,” Sara Lora, Delta’s Corporate Communications Manager for Latin America and Caribbean, told Stabroek News.

Jagdeo’s luggage had been searched while he was a passenger on Delta some months ago and this had led to suggestions in some quarters that it was in some way responsible for the airline’s imminent departure. Delta’s last flight will be on May 6.

A source close to Jagdeo, however, brushed off suggestions that he was upset that Delta Airlines had searched his bag on an outgoing flight, informing that before the search was conducted the former head-of-state was informed that it was a random TSA search and he complied fully.

The source made reference to the many times that the then president travelled out of Guyana to the USA and other destinations as “an ordinary passenger” waiving his diplomatic rights and underwent stipulated checks as required by regular passengers. The source said that Jagdeo chose this method for his travels instead of enforcing his diplomatic immunity, since at times that process can be more tedious.

This newspaper was also told that Jagdeo found the claims that he was responsible for Delta withdrawal humourous and joked at the stretch some persons would go to sensationalise a story.

Last week, Lora had confirmed Delta’s discontinuation of flights between the John F. Kennedy International Airport and the Cheddi Jagan International Airport, effective as of May 6, “due to poor performance of the route.”

But Transport Minister Robeson Benn disputed the explanation by Delta Airlines that it has decided to stop flying the route because it is racking up losses here. He opined that the move by Delta was geared towards expanding its market and had nothing to do with poor passenger load. “Delta Airlines’ announcement of 11 December 2012, of the acquisition of Singapore Airlines’ 49% share in Virgin Atlantic for US$360 million, indicates, perhaps, a corporate shift of assets and activity to the more lucrative Trans-Atlantic route for the world’s largest airline… I would be surprised that they are losing money,” he said.

President Donald Ramotar is also reported by as saying that his government would like the airline to continue its operation out of Georgetown and at no time did it force the airline out. “Guyana is asking them to stay… we would very much like them to stay, because it’s a reputable airline. So it has nothing to do with us asking them to leave….that is not true, I could assure you that that has no basis,” the Government Information News Agency quoted the President as saying.

Comments  

Buttler hundred hands England ODI series victory

SYDNEY,  (Reuters) – England’s Jos Buttler struck a belligerent unbeaten 100 to set up a 16-run win over Australia in the third one-day international on Sunday, as the touring side took an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match series.

Law to debar errant contractors coming by year end – Corbin

The Public Procurement Commission (PPC) hopes that by the end of this year debarment legislation would be in place as it will soon begin meeting with stakeholders on a draft.

House passes witness protection bill

A bill to provide a legal framework for the protection of witnesses was passed without amendment by the National Assembly on Friday evening despite arguments by the parliamentary opposition that it failed to take into account modern challenges.

Over $7M seized in Soesdyke raid expected to trigger money-laundering probe

The ownership of over $7 million in local and foreign currencies and several vehicles that were all seized during a raid by the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) at Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara on Friday has raised questions and a separate probe is expected to be launched.

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Weeks after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 well in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site in the same area.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×