The GFF Super League needs restructuring

Dear Editor,

The publication of a report in your newspaper (May 29) captioned ‘GFF Super League action continues Sunday’ has left me dumbfounded in relation to the latest points standings. But before I deal with that, I must indicate that the GFF Super League is no longer funded by FIFA, but out of the local federation’s coffers.

The GFF Super League definitely needs restructuring in the sense that each participating team should have a sound nursery programme, whereby it would be compulsory for under 11, 13,15, 17,19, 21 and 23 teams to participate in domestic association competitions. At the senior domestic level, senior national players should be debarred from participating, unless they are within the age-limit.

Reigning national club champions Alpha United, on 41 points with 2 matches left to play have already secured the 2012-13 Super League title. Second-place Pele on 30 points cannot overtake Alpha, but can secure the runner-up spot providing they win their final match. BK Int Western Tigers currently third with 26 points, can also maintain their position with 2 victories in their final 2 matches.

This brings me to an essential point. Is there a dearth of goal scorers in 70% of the 10 teams? Or are the goalkeepers that good? Alpha United scored 70 goals and conceded 7 for a goal difference of +63, which is 6 more goals than the four bottom-placed teams combined, and 7 less than the other four top-placed teams! In other words Alpha have accounted for almost 31% of the goals scored to date, and the other 9 teams account for 69%, or 158 goals.

Does the GFF honestly feel that the 7 teams which placed from 4th-10th with goal differences ranging from – 2 to – 27 ‒ and not – 25 as was incorrectly stated for Uitvlugt Warriors ‒ can attract mega bucks for sponsorship?

By the way, how many of the 10 teams have a proper reserve goalkeeper? And what is the level of certification in the coaching department, including assistant coaches? Also, it must be noted that I, have not commented upon the physical trainers and physiotherapists, much less nutritionists, all of whom are found among most of our Caribbean contemporaries. Can local club football rise to that level? Needless to say the administration and management of teams may also have a shortfall.

Meanwhile Alpha United with the relevant finances at its disposal will always be able to attract most of the best players locally. But in the absence of churning out adequate replacements through a sound nursery programme, the sport will continue to suffer. Despite its success a significant number of players in Alpha at the end of the season don’t get the needed playing time, which is a waste of talent and future potential. Would this factor be taken into consideration and would loan spells at weaker clubs be examined?

Yours faithfully,
Lester Sealey

Around the Web

Comments