Shane Warne faces Melbourne Stars Big Bash ban

(BBC) Shane Warne faces a ban for not naming himself captain for Melbourne Stars’ Big Bash League defeat in Perth.

James Faulkner was listed as skipper for Tuesday’s semi-final in a move aimed at ensuring Warne did not receive a suspension for slow over rates.

Warne, 43, was returning from a one-game ban for his altercation with Marlon Samuels.

A statement read: “Shane Warne has been reported for breaching Cricket Australia’s code of behaviour.”

Warne had already been warned about his side bowling their overs too slowly in an earlier game.

A repeat would have incurred a one match ban, ruling the spinner out of the final if Melbourne had been victorious over the Perth Scorchers.

Cricket Australia’s statement said: “Warne is alleged to have breached Rule 5: Laws of Cricket and Spirit of the Game.

“On 5 December 2012, KFC T20 Big Bash League teams were sent a memo by Cricket Australia.

“Under the heading ‘Over Rates’, the memo stated that ‘If a team’s official captain is selected but not named as captain, this will be considered against the spirit of cricket and may attract a code of behaviour charge’.

“For tonight’s match, James Faulkner was listed on the Melbourne Stars team sheet as captain and took part in the coin toss with Perth Scorchers captain Simon Katich.

“Warne had previously been issued with one strike for a slow over rate violation, with a second strike this season resulting in an automatic one-match suspension.”  The legendary bowler returned to competitive cricket in Australia for the first time when the newly-franchised Big Bash League was launched last year.

Comments  

Warriors blitz Stars

A resurgent Guyana Amazon Warriors side completed a comprehensive seven wickets victory over the out-of-sorts St Lucia Stars to cruise to their second consecutive home win in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) at the Guyana National Stadium, Providence, last evening.

By ,

Barcelona sue Neymar for alleged breach of contract

BARCELONA,  (Reuters) – Barcelona are suing Neymar for 8.5 million euros ($10.00 million) for breach of contract as they want him to return the bonus he was paid when he signed a new five-year deal just nine months before joining Paris St Germain, the Spanish club said yesterday.

Ronaldo loses appeal against five-match ban

(Reuters) – Cristiano Ronaldo will have to serve his five-match ban for pushing a referee after the Spanish sports court (TAD) rejected Real Madrid’s appeal against the length of the suspension, Spanish media reported yesterday citing court officials.

Western Tigers in last gasp draw with GFC

A 90th+3 minute strike secured Western Tigers a 1-1 draw with Georgetown Football Club (GFC), when the Corona Beer Invitational Football Championship continued on Monday at the GFC ground, Bourda.

GFF happy with u15 performance

Despite concluding the CONCACAF u15 Boys Championship with only one victory from four matches, Guyana Football Federation (GFF) President Wayne Forde said, he is delighted with the team’s overall performance.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×