Alpha crushes Riddim Squad 4-1

Alpha ‘The Hammer’ United crushed Riddim Squad 4-1 in the feature semi-final encounter of the Georgetown Football Association (GFA) Players Cup on Wednesday at the Georgetown Football Club (GFC) ground, Bourda.

Anthony Abrams led the Hammers with a double in the fourth and 21st minutes. He was assisted by Dwight Peters and Andrew Murray Jr. who scored in the 55th and 65th minutes respectively. Netting for the losers in the 29th minute was Amos Ramsay.

Alpha would make the perfect start to the encounter as Abrams capitalised on an error by centre half Steffon Ramsay.
Racing into the left side of the penalty area following a missed clearance by S. Ramsay, the clinical forward would place his right-footed strike away from the advancing goalkeeper Dorville Stewart to the lower right-hand corner of the goal to open his tally.

Anthony Abrams
Anthony Abrams

The Mocha-based side almost levelled proceedings in the 12th minute following miscommunication between centre back Selwyn Isaacs and custodian Richie Richards.

  Andrew Murray Jr.,
Andrew Murray Jr.,

Attempting to shield the ball just inside the area for the on-rushing Richards to collect, Isaacs would have the ball nicked off his legs by A. Ramsay whose intended strike to the open goal would be denied by the legs of the quick recovering Richards.

Alpha would then double their lead nine minutes later, netting through a perfectly worked counter attack from the midfield area between Peters and Abrams.

Intercepting the ball in the midfield area, Peters would run onto a through pass just outside the right side of the penalty area, before lobbing the ball to the open Abrams who clinically finished to the lower right hand side.

The deficit would be cut to one as A. Ramsay found the back of the net eight minutes later, heading home to an open goal following another moment of uncertainty between defender and keeper.

Rushing off his line to the right side of the box to collect a shielded ball by centre half Quincy Adams, Richards would have the ball headed out of his path by the nippy forward into the back of the empty net.

The second period would see Peters almost adding to the scoreline in the 49th minute, heading just over the crossbar from 13 yards out after receiving a right-sided Murray Jr. cross.

Peters however would not be denied, beating Stewart low to his left at his first post with a powerful struck right-footed effort from inside the right side of the box.

The result would be sealed 10 minutes later through Murray Jr’s left-sided header to the empty goal. Rising confidently to meet a Peter’s right-sided cross, Murray Jr. would place his header into the back of the empty net after Stewart missed an attempted punch to clear the danger.

Alpha will now face Santos FC in the grand finale which will be held on Friday, October 25th at the same venue while the third place fixture will see Camptown FC opposing Riddim Squad FC.

Around the Web