ST.JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC- West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) is considering removing Combined Campuses and Colleges (CCC) from its regional tournaments next year.
CEO Michael Muirhead says while no decision has yet been taken CCC is likely to be excluded from WICB tournaments including the Regional Super 50 to be hosted in Trinidad and Tobago in January and the Regional Four-day tournament.
“It (the decision) is not finalised and nothing is cast in stone but it is certainly trending that way,” said Muirhead.
“It is a decision we (the WICB) will make next week.”
Decision on CCC’s future is expected to be taken at the WICB’s Board meeting on December 7.
Muirhead said the discussions will also center on measures to encourage territories to contract the players from the current CCC squad.
“We are going to be encouraging the territories. We want the best players to be playing regardless of what teams they are with,” said Muirhead.
“So we want to encourage other teams to invite many of the CCC players to be part of their team and drafted into their teams and we’ll be looking at ways to motivate them (the six territorial teams) to do that”.
Last year, CCC received a $US 50,000 grant from the WICB, similar to the amount normally awarded to the six territorial boards on an annual basis.
Muirhead has listed commercial reasons among factors that may lead to the withdrawal of the CCC.