Sparta man loses home to unattended garbage fire

A senior citizen is now counting his losses after his home at Sparta, Essequibo Coast was destroyed by a fire that started around 5.30 pm yesterday.

The home of Sydney Blackman was destroyed after he lit a fire to burn garbage at the back of his house and then fell asleep. The fire grew out of control and quickly spread to the house, Stabroek News was told.

Blackman only awakened after his neighbours raised an alarm.

Firefighters at the Anna Regina Fire Station were summoned by neighbours and they were able to contain the fire before it reached the other houses nearby. The man, who lived alone, said his losses amounted to an estimated $500,000. Everything he owned was destroyed, he said.

Around the Web

Comments