Recaptured prisoner says paid cop $60,000 for hospital escape

-sentenced to two years

Dexroy Brown, the prisoner who escaped from the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) over two months ago, yesterday said that he paid a policeman $60,000 for his freedom.

Brown, 21, made an appearance in court before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry, who sentenced him to serve two years in jail after he admitted that he had indeed escaped police custody on March 9 while under guard at the GPH.

When given an opportunity to explain himself, Brown said that he had been in his hospital room when he was approached by his assigned police guard. At the time of the officer’s approach, Brown said, he had $60,000 in cash on his person. He added that the guard offered to “help him out” in exchange for the money.

A plan was hatched between the men in which the captive would make his escape while the officer “slept.” Brown’s shackles were released and, at about 2:30am the man walked freely out of the hospital.

Dexroy Brown
Dexroy Brown

He had managed to avoid the police for almost three months until his recent apprehension. Following his arrest, the officer he had allegedly colluded with denied any knowledge of an escape plan, he said.

Magistrate Sewnarine-Beharry ordered an investigation to be launched into the allegations made by Brown.

The prisoner’s escape had led to the close arrest of the officer that had been tasked with guarding him. Questions had been raised on whether Brown had been shackled to his hospital bed prior to his escape.

Before sentencing the man, Sewnarine-Beharry questioned whether he had ever been placed before the courts for any crime. He admitted that he had been charged for minor matters, such as threatening language and disorderly behaviour.

While handing down her decision, the magistrate explained that she had taken a number of factors into consideration, including the fact that Brown appeared to have no remorse for his actions. A prison term of two years was decided upon.

Brown is still to face judgment on the two charges that began it all. He had initially been scheduled to make an appearance before the Chief Magistrate on March 10 with his co-accused, David Bernard. Both men, nabbed during a routine stop and search exercise in the Sophia area on March 6, were charged with illegal possession of guns and ammunition. The charges alleged that the men had in their possessions a 9mm pistol and a .38 snub-nosed revolver along with one live round of 9mm ammunition and six live rounds of .38 ammunition.

According to the police, at about 8pm on the date in question, police ranks were on patrol in ‘B’ Field, Sophia when they saw the defendants approaching on a CG motorcycle. Bernard, it was said, was riding while Brown was his passenger. The men were stopped by the police who conducted a search and discovered the guns along with the ammunition under the vehicle’s seat.

They were both told of the offences by the ranks. However, Brown made an escape bid, during which he was shot by a police officer. It was his shooting which led to his hospitalisation.

Bernard had pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to him on March 10. However, Brown was noticeably missing to answer to the charge.

During yesterday’s proceedings, Brown was also allowed to plead to the gun-related charges. The man denied both. He will return on June 2, once more before the Chief Magistrate.


Around the Web