Travelspan resumes flights after stranding passengers

TravelSpan yesterday resumed partial operations after mechanical problems grounded both of its aircraft over the weekend, leaving passengers booked to travel stranded in both Guyana and the United States.

Passengers have complained that no provisions have been made to organise alternative arrangements for them. Passengers were told that the delay was caused by a mechanical malfunction on Saturday, however, they remained without substitute flights or refunds.

Stabroek News was told that customers attempting to reach officials of the airline were unable to do so throughout all of yesterday.

However, the airline did release an advisory on its Facebook page yesterday afternoon to announce that one of its planes was back in operation.

While extending its apologies and regret for the extensive delays, it explained that the reason for the delay was that both aircraft encountered mechanical problems over the weekend.

The airline added that efforts were being made by its carrier, Vision Airlines, to look for an alternative carrier for sub-service.

“In the meantime, the 767/300 is fixed and passengers are checking in for a departure from Guyana today at 4 pm, and additional flights are schedule for later tonight into tomorrow,” it said, while adding that Vision was working diligently to get back on schedule and hoped that all flights to be back to normal by Wednesday.

“The maintenance team is working on getting the 2nd aircraft back in the air,” it said, while noting that safety is always its number one priority. “…Vision Airlines is anticipating resuming normal schedule service by Wednesday, they will do all that is necessary to ensure your flights operates,” it added.

The airline in its advisory said its agents have been calling passengers and would continue “to exhaust all measure including leaving voice messages and sending emails with news and updates.”

“We plead with all passengers do not go to any airport either in New York, Guyana or Trinidad,” it further advised, while noting that once it had a confirmed schedule by Vision Airlines for flights it would call to advise of new check in and departure times.

However, stranded passengers over the weekend told Stabroek News that TravelSpan was yet to provide them with any updates as to when the airline’s flights will resume.

On Sunday, a passenger told this newspaper that she was due to return to work on Monday and she had been going back and forth to the airport for a week.

She had explained that customers were not being told a thing and were not given courtesy calls by the airline to reduce domestic travel time and costs.

Stabroek News made multiple attempts to contact management of the airline, but was unable to reach the local office manager Vanita Jagnaraian.

An email was sent to Director of the airline Rob Binns on Sunday, however, it remained unanswered up to press time Monday.

Many frustrated customers vented on the company’s Facebook page about the lack of communication by the airline, with many saying it was the worst experience they have had to endure.

Some also inquired of the airline what it would do about their losses.


Around the Web