Caribbean Press in jeopardy if editorial board budget not passed – Anthony

The future of the Caribbean Press is in jeopardy if the 2014 budget for a permanent editorial board is not passed, Culture Minister Frank Anthony has said.

Speaking yesterday at a press briefing during which he reviewed the ministry’s operations in 2013, Anthony said chances that the press would continue in operation if the budget was shot down were slim. “If we don’t get the money we will have to close the press down,” he reiterated, lamenting that it would be a tragic turn for the press.

The functioning of the Caribbean Press has been at the centre of controversy for the last year, following observations made by writer Ruel Johnson and a few others as regards its management.

Guyana’s Ambassador to China Dr David Dabydeen has been functioning as the executive editor of the press, but had indicated his intention to divest himself of the responsibility.

The minister said yesterday said that the request for an editorial board was going to cost the ministry quite a sum. “This was something that we were getting for free from Dabydeen but if this is what people feel will bring more transparency we don’t have a problem,” Anthony stated.

“But we will have to pay for it,” he emphasized, adding that the persons who had worked on publishing previous manuscripts for free were angered with the bad press they had received for their contributions. “And some of the local people who have been criticising have nothing to contribute to the development of the literary art forms or the publications,” he charged.

Nevertheless, he said, the press planned to release a number of books during the year, highlighting that over eight books have been published since the birth of the press. “We will be launching in another couple months a number of books that they have published and we have done a number of parliamentary speeches of past presidents and we will soon be unveiling those,” he said, noting that the press will be releasing the republished Kyk-over-al journals.

Answering questions in Parliament last year, Anthony had revealed that from 2009 to 2012, $56.6 million was spent and that the editorial service cost for the press in 2010 to 2012 was zero. Administrative costs, he said, were $7,850,000 for secretarial assistants for the editors for the period 2009 to 2012.

He had stated that the books that were to be published were: Egbert Martin: Scriptology, Twenty-Five Caribbean Poems for Children, Anthology of Caribbean Stories for Children, Six Anthologies of Contemporary Poetry by Guyanese Children (to be edited by Rev Gideon Cecil), Four collections of Children’s short stories by Janet Jagan (Reprints), Three collections of the essays of Janet Jagan, Six volumes of the National Assembly Speeches of Desmond Hoyte, Four additional volumes of the National Assembly Speeches of Forbes Burnham, Paloma Mohammed’s children’s short story, Marlee the Manatee, Three volumes of Mittelholzer Lectures, (ed. Andrew Lindsay),Two anthologies of Guyanese plays, (ed. A1 Creighton) and the Seven volumes of Kyk-Over-Al (Reprints from 1945 to 1961).

Comments  

Hundreds more sugar workers to be laid off

Several hundred more sugar workers are expected to be laid off from the Skeldon, Rose Hall, and East Demerara estates by next month and the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) yesterday urged that the decision be reviewed.

Order signed for setting up of telecoms agency

The commencement order establishing the Telecommunications Agency was signed last Friday, in anticipation of the liberalisation of the telecoms sector, Minister of Public Tele-communications Cathy Hughes announced yesterday.

Soesdyke woman gets 4 years, $14M fine over cocaine in ceiling

Nickela Craig-Singh, the woman who was arrested last Friday after the Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) found over 10 pounds of cocaine in the ceiling of her Soesdyke home, was yesterday sentenced to four years in prison and fined over $14 million after pleading guilty to possession of the drug.

Public Information Director regrets Facebook criticism of Indian descent conference

Almost two weeks after he made a Facebook post in which he questioned whether the Indian High Commission was interfering in Guyana’s internal affairs, Director of Public Information Imran Khan yesterday said that he regretted the “furore” his post created and admitted that it should have benefitted from “greater elegance or not have been made.” After public reprimand and criticisms coming from even within the government, Khan, who initially staunchly maintained that he voiced his concerns in his private capacity as a citizen, said in a recent post on the issue that he now appreciates how persons may have interpreted his views as being some way reflective of the office he holds.

Mother says beheading victim is Port Kaituma miner

A young man seen in a recent viral video being brutally murdered in neighbouring Venezuela has been identified as a Port Kaituma miner.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×