Culture Centre renovation pegged at up to $80M – Anthony

Culture Minister Frank Anthony has said that renovating the National Cultural Centre (NCC) could cost up to $80 million, while lamenting that the facility has not been earning.

“We have to fund all these things. If the centre was making money we could have been able to invest this money. We have to now find money from our budget to do this and to do all this that I have spoken on we would be spending close to $80M on the centre,” he said at his end of year press conference last Friday.

Last year, the ministry was urged by the NCC Director Godfrey Naughton to help pay its utility bills. Naughton had said that the NCC was “up to its neck” in expenses and that producers were being chased away by the high cost of renting the centre.

Speaking at the awards ceremony for the National Drama Festival, he had also complained that the state of the NCC was affecting the practical work of students at National Drama School—which is housed in NCC—and that the platform used for performance needed improvement.

He had also talked about the poor lighting and sound conditions that actors were forced to worked under and he labeled them outdated.

Anthony, however, argued that the centre was already funded by the ministry. “While producers may complain about how much it costs to use the centre, we are actually subsidising the centre and I think people should understand that.  We have difficulties at the cultural centre and one of these includes the air conditioning,” he noted.

He lamented that when the air conditioning is turned on to cool the building, it would be costly and charges to host events would be spent back on paying electricity bills. “When you turn on the air conditioning in the National Cultural Centre to cool that entire place it is costly and sometimes the $80,000 or $70,000 that we charge has to be spent again on the electricity bills. People don’t take this into consideration and if we are to implement market rates I don’t know how many of the producers will be able to afford it,” he added.

According to Anthony, the old AC system has to be replaced by a new one. “We had some advertisements out for invitation for bids from contractors to replace the AC system. We had one contractor who came in and the estimate was too high so we have nullified that bid and we went to the tender board and asked if we can do selective tendering.  We did this and we gave several companies a timeline. So far, we got two bids and we are evaluating those,” he said, while noting that air conditioning contract would cost at minimum $56 million.

 

Comments  

SVN student tops CAPE

Vamanadev Hiralall, of the privately-run Saraswati Vidya Niketan (SVN), is the country’s top performer at this year’s Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) after achieving an accumulated 13 grade one and 3 grade two passes.

By ,

Top CSEC students say number of subjects increase options, test limits

Twenty-six students in the top one percent of the 12,684 who sat this year’s Caribbean Secondary Education Certification (CSEC) examinations earned 12 or more Grade I passes, with half of them, including the top performer, coming from Queen’s College (QC).

By ,

Hemraj Kissoon, others testify at CoI for return of lands

On the second day of the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into African ancestral lands and other matters, four witnesses made cases for the return of lands they feel they are rightly entitled to, which were either taken by the state or occupied by private owners.

By ,

Wheelchair bound accused found dead in prison cell

Shelton George, the man charged with both murdering a waitress at a Chinese restaurant and the attempted murder of a magistrate, was found dead in his cell at the Lusignan Prison yesterday morning.

Triumph NDC orders halt to ground-shaking works

The Chairman of the Triumph Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) yesterday instructed workers employed on a private site, reportedly intended to build a first-floor pool, to cease operations, just two days after residents called on authorities to halt its construction.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×