Pig’s tale fails to win release for simple larceny accused

Calvin Francis, accused of stealing a pig, yesterday told a city court that he found the animal on the road and decided to sell it.

However, his explanation was not convincing enough to sway the Chief Magistrate to grant him his pre-trial release on a simple larceny charge.

Francis, of 73 Princes Street, Lodge, was charged with stealing the pig, valued $65,000, from Jean Bacchus on February 10.

According to Prosecutor Michael Grant, Bacchus had gone to feed the animal when she discovered it had gone missing from its locked pen. Grant added that the matter was reported and information was received that the defendant had been seen by someone taking the pig from the pen.

Acting on this information, Francis was arrested and charged.

However, the man presented a much different version of the events. According to him, he had been going home when he saw an injured pig on the road. He decided to pick it up and carry it to the market where he sold it, he said. The next day, he added, Bacchus, who accused him of stealing the animal, approached him. However, he said she had no idea where he had gotten the pig.

When asked by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry whether he had ever been convicted, the labourer admitted that he had spent 18 months in prison on a simple larceny charge.

Prosecutor Grant objected to bail, citing the seriousness of the offence as his reason.

After being remanded, Francis tried to change his plea to guilty. However, his explanation of the events did not permit a plea change and the not guilty plea was maintained.

He will make another court appearance on March 3.

Comments  

Law to debar errant contractors coming by year end – Corbin

The Public Procurement Commission (PPC) hopes that by the end of this year debarment legislation would be in place as it will soon begin meeting with stakeholders on a draft.

House passes witness protection bill

A bill to provide a legal framework for the protection of witnesses was passed without amendment by the National Assembly on Friday evening despite arguments by the parliamentary opposition that it failed to take into account modern challenges.

Over $7M seized in Soesdyke raid expected to trigger money-laundering probe

The ownership of over $7 million in local and foreign currencies and several vehicles that were all seized during a raid by the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) at Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara on Friday has raised questions and a separate probe is expected to be launched.

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Weeks after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 well in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site in the same area.

For terminal cancer patients, Beacon hospice offers ray of hope

The final days for cancer patients can be consumed by pain and loneliness.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×