Three No.72 Village homes gutted by arson

The gutted Hassans’ residence

Three families are now homeless after an early morning fire in Number 72 Village, Corentyne gutted their homes on Friday.

Fire Chief for the `B’ Division Compton Sparman told Stabroek News that arson caused the destruction.

The fire reportedly started at the Lot 122 Section B Number 72 Village home of the Hassans. It then quickly spread to the homes of Keisha Joseph and Hemchand Hemraj.

Rajkumar Hassan, 44, said he was awakened by sounds emanating from motor vehicles and believing it was thieves, armed himself with a cutlass and went to check. Instead, he was greeted with scorching heat. He added that when he exited his room, he realised that the entire house was hot. He then raised an alarm and his son, daughter, daughter-in-law and wife escaped from the back shed while he jumped from the veranda.

The gutted Hassans’ residence
The gutted Hassans’ residence

Hassan said he tried to save a vehicle but the heat was too much.

The Hassans estimated their losses to be close to $6 million.

Meanwhile, Hemchand Hemraj of Lot 123, said nothing in his house was saved. The self-employed man related that he too was awakened by the sounds coming from the tapirs and saw his house on fire as well.

Hemraj said he woke up his wife and they escaped. He said they managed to save their minibus, tapir and motorcycle. Nevertheless, he said, their losses were close to $10 million.

Joseph’s family was renting the Lot 124 premises from an overseas-based Guyanese. At the time of the fire Joseph and her three children were at home.

She was awakened by sounds coming from the outside, but by the time she realised what was happening, her house was already engulfed. Joseph’s spouse was at the time on duty at a nearby primary school. The family’s losses are close to $1 million.

Asked about the response of the fire service, residents said that by the time it arrived two buildings were already gutted.

The fire chief told Stabroek News investigations have revealed that the flames originated from a tapir vehicle that was parked downstairs.

Hemchand Hemraj’s destroyed home
Hemchand Hemraj’s destroyed home

Sparman said that the owner of Lot 122 noticed that his gates were open when he jumped over the veranda.  He told the fire-fighters that he had secured his gate before he retired to bed.

The fire chief noted too that when they arrived on the scene a burnt post fell which prevented them from gaining full access to the area. However, Sparman noted that the Guyana Sugar Corporation fire attendants arrived and assisted but water ran out.

Meanwhile, the fire service is calling on members of the public to keep the number of the fire service at hand. Sparman told Stabroek News that residents contacted the police instead of the fire service. (David Papannah)


Jerry Lewis, king of low-brow comedy and charity fundraiser, dies at 91

Jerry Lewis   LOS ANGELES,  (Reuters) – Jerry Lewis, the high prince of low-brow comedy on stage and in movies as well as a fund-raising powerhouse with his annual Labor Day telethon, died today of “natural causes” at the age of 91, his family said.

Warning issued about counterfeit Toyota products

Beharry Automotive Limited (BAL) , the authorised distributor for Toyota parts and lubricants, says that an abundance  of imitation Toyota parts and lubricants have entered the market with the Toyota logo and trademark.

Grace Mugabe returns to Zimbabwe after assault allegation in South Africa

Grace Mugabe   HARARE,  (Reuters) – Zimbabwe’s first lady Grace Mugabe returned from South Africa early today, state media reported, after a 20-year-old model accused her of assault in an upmarket Johannesburg hotel room.

QC boy scores 25 CSEC passes

Michael Bhopaul, 16, doesn’t know if he is this year’s best performer at    the Caribbean Secondary Examination Certificate (CSEC) Examinations, but with preliminary results showing that he has obtained passes in 25 subjects, he will be hard to top.

By ,

Lusignan prisoners turn over weapons, apologise after unrest

Inmates at the Lusignan Prison turned over 33 improvised weapons yesterday morning to prison authorities, who say that they also apologised to the prison staff for the unrest at the facility on Friday night.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now