Suspected electrical fire leaves six homeless in Crabwood Creek

The houses ablaze

A suspected electrical fire on Monday afternoon gutted two houses in Crab-wood Creek Corentyne (CWC), leaving six more persons homeless.

Satesh Lilman, 32, a farmer told the media that the fire began in the upper flat of his home at Grant 1651 lot 65 CWC at about 5.35 pm. He explained that he had been relaxing in his hammock when neighbours alerted him that his house was on fire.

Shocked, he called out to his wife, who was tending to their children to get out of the house.

His wife and children ran out of the yard, whilst he tried to “run upstairs and turn off the main switch.” However, the intense heat prevented him from entering the house and he had to sprint downstairs to save his own life.

The houses ablaze
The houses ablaze

Frustrated Lilman said that his family was unable to save any items from the home and indicated that he did not know the next move for his family.

The house next door, at Lot 66 Grant 1651, owned by Dropadi Baichu 83, an overseas-based Guyanese, also caught afire. Baichu, vacationing in Guyana, was in the house.

According to a niece Indra (only name given), after the fire alarm was raised, her aunt wearing only a night gown, had to be hurried out as the house was being consumed in flames. She went barefoot because all her belongings were lost in the fire. She explained that her aunt had to ask for a pair of slippers to put on her feet.

The niece said that the home worth about some thirteen million dollars, had been furnished with expensive appliances.

The Lilmans’ house had been recently renovated to the tune of about ten million dollars.

Meanwhile, residents from the CWC community were critical of the untimely response of the Spring-lands fire service. Lilman said as soon as the flames were sighted, residents had tried to contact the fire service but were unsuccessful.

The pensioner’s niece added that multiple calls made to the fire station went unanswered. She said that after not being able to contact the fire-fighters, they called the Springlands police station, which also tried to contact the fire service but got no answer. Subsequently, residents called the Georgetown fire service which contacted the unit at Springlands, and “that was when they came,” she explained.

Nevertheless, the officers at the Springlands police station were commended for their efforts to contact the fire service.

The residents explained that the fire service arrived approximately 45 minutes after the fire had started and the houses had already been engulfed in flames.

They also said that they were planning to have a demonstration, since it was the second incident in the area in the past few days that resulted in the loss of livelihoods and shelter.

 

Comments  

China Railway gets major T&T road project

A sketch of the proposed Curepe Interchange (Trinidad Guardian) China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC) has been awarded a $221.7 million contract by the National infrastructure Development Company (Nidco) to build the controversial Curepe Interchange, the state company’s chairman Herbert George has confirmed.

Evidence in alleged plot to kill President was unreliable – Police legal advisor

Legal Advisor to the Police, retired Justice of Appeal, Claudette Singh yesterday testified that there was insufficient evidence in the allegation made by Andriff Gillard of an alleged plot to assassinate President David Granger.

By ,

City to vote on parking meters report

Today at 2 pm the 30 councillors of the Georgetown City Council will once again cast a vote on the future of metered parking in the city and several of them have told Stabroek News that they want to be sure their vote accurately represents a mandate from residents.

By ,

Blanhum rejects ‘appalling’ statements by Ramnarine

Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum yesterday made a written request to be recalled before the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) investigating the allegation of a plot to kill the President of Guyana to defend himself against “appalling” statements made by Assistant Commissioner of Police David Ramnarine.

Two men remanded over Rawle Rodrigues murder

Two men were yesterday remanded to prison by a city magistrate after they were charged with the fatal stabbing of Rawle Rodrigues which occurred in January.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×