Guyanese sailor dies on boat en route to St Lucia

-another hospitalized, eight quarantined

A Guyanese crewman died onboard a vessel en route to St Lucia, another is hospitalized and eight others have been quarantined as medical personnel from both countries try to determine  the source of the illness.

According to the  St Lucia Star, the crewman died on Saturday while at sea and  the preliminary cause of death has been given as bronchopneumonia.  The name of the dead crew member has not been released.

The Maritime Adminis-tration Department (MARAD) here yesterday issued a release which stated that the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines-registered ship ‘Lady Zai’ left for St Lucia last Thursday  with a ten-man crew laden with bulk cargo.

“When the vessel arrived in St Lucia on Sunday March 8, 2014 a crew member had already died and another was ill,” the release stated.

Before the ship arrived, St Lucia’s port health officials were informed of     the situation and when the vessel docked, an emergency autopsy was performed and the sick man was taken to a hospital. He is currently being treated while his other eight crew have been quarantined.

MARAD said that the usual precautionary method was implemented to protect the local population from contracting any possible communicable disease.

Officials from MARAD are in contact with their colleagues in St Lucia and both countries’ health officials are liaising.

When contacted, Chief Medical Officer Shamdeo Persaud told Stabroek News “We are still gathering information…tomorrow (today) we will be able to speak on the issue.”

St Lucia’s Senior Medical Officer Sharon Belmar-George is quoted by the Star as saying “We provided an assessment of the other 8 crew members, who were still on board the vessel and using the quarantine act we were able to quarantine and detain the crew members and the cargo on board the vessel”.

“The Ministry of Health, as I indicated, [is] working closely with our local partners, the St Lucia Air and Sea Ports Authority, the Fire Service and the Marine Police in managing the situation. We are also communicating with the Chief Medical Officer in Guyana and the regional agencies of the Caribbean Public Health Agency and the Pan American Health Organization in terms of managing the health situation” she said.

She further pointed out that her ministry was still waiting on further tests to “paint a complete picture” of the specific type of respiratory illness they are dealing with.

Meanwhile, Minister of Transport Robeson Benn informed that today MARAD would further update on the incident.

Comments  

Hundreds more sugar workers to be laid off

Several hundred more sugar workers are expected to be laid off from the Skeldon, Rose Hall, and East Demerara estates by next month and the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) yesterday urged that the decision be reviewed.

Order signed for setting up of telecoms agency

The commencement order establishing the Telecommunications Agency was signed last Friday, in anticipation of the liberalisation of the telecoms sector, Minister of Public Tele-communications Cathy Hughes announced yesterday.

Soesdyke woman gets 4 years, $14M fine over cocaine in ceiling

Nickela Craig-Singh, the woman who was arrested last Friday after the Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) found over 10 pounds of cocaine in the ceiling of her Soesdyke home, was yesterday sentenced to four years in prison and fined over $14 million after pleading guilty to possession of the drug.

Public Information Director regrets Facebook criticism of Indian descent conference

Almost two weeks after he made a Facebook post in which he questioned whether the Indian High Commission was interfering in Guyana’s internal affairs, Director of Public Information Imran Khan yesterday said that he regretted the “furore” his post created and admitted that it should have benefitted from “greater elegance or not have been made.” After public reprimand and criticisms coming from even within the government, Khan, who initially staunchly maintained that he voiced his concerns in his private capacity as a citizen, said in a recent post on the issue that he now appreciates how persons may have interpreted his views as being some way reflective of the office he holds.

Mother says beheading victim is Port Kaituma miner

A young man seen in a recent viral video being brutally murdered in neighbouring Venezuela has been identified as a Port Kaituma miner.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×