Ex-con on robbery charge days after release from jail

An ex-convict, released from prison mere days ago, yesterday faced a possible third term in prison after being brought before a city court on an armed robbery charge.

Thirty-six year old Kwame Bruce, who said he was a beggar, had been released on Saturday after being convicted on two charges on January 8. On that date, Bruce had admitted that he had been convicted before and pleaded guilty to the wounding and threatening behaviour charges, earning himself a four-month sentence in the process.

In yesterday’s proceedings, the man was charged with robbing Ramadit Ramlall of $7,500 while armed with a cutlass on March 12 in Smyth Street; Bruce vehemently refuted the claims.

According to Prosecutor Deniro Jones, Ramlall knew Bruce from seeing him around the area. On the date in question, Ramlall was on duty at Jumbo Jet Auto Sales when he saw the defendant approach him with a cutlass. Bruce, the prosecutor said, began to curse Ramlall who attempted to escape. Nevertheless, the defendant still managed to rob Ramlall, Jones added.

However, Bruce asserted his innocence throughout the matter. He explained that he had been attacked by the warden while in prison and had sustained injuries to his leg which inhibited him from running. He added that, in order to beg, he used crutches.

Angrily, he berated Ramlall for falsely accusing him. Ramlall, meanwhile, said that his money had never been recovered.

After considerations were made, Magistrate Ann McLennan remanded Bruce to prison. After insistence by Bruce that he be allowed bail, Magistrate McLennan explained to the man that he had no fixed place of abode and had already been convicted. These reasons, she said, caused her to deny him bail.

Bruce will reappear before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry on April 1 for the continuation of his matter.

Comments  

Law to debar errant contractors coming by year end – Corbin

The Public Procurement Commission (PPC) hopes that by the end of this year debarment legislation would be in place as it will soon begin meeting with stakeholders on a draft.

House passes witness protection bill

A bill to provide a legal framework for the protection of witnesses was passed without amendment by the National Assembly on Friday evening despite arguments by the parliamentary opposition that it failed to take into account modern challenges.

Over $7M seized in Soesdyke raid expected to trigger money-laundering probe

The ownership of over $7 million in local and foreign currencies and several vehicles that were all seized during a raid by the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) at Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara on Friday has raised questions and a separate probe is expected to be launched.

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Weeks after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 well in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site in the same area.

For terminal cancer patients, Beacon hospice offers ray of hope

The final days for cancer patients can be consumed by pain and loneliness.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×