Broadcaster charged with assaulting girl, 13

-remanded after teen voices fear for life

A broadcaster is now a remanded prisoner after being charged with assaulting a 13-year-old girl and threatening her mother.

Ossie Rodgers, who is a broadcaster attached to the NTN Channel 69 and NTN radio 89.1 FM, appeared at the Sparendaam Magis-trate’s Court yesterday to answer the charges, which allegedly stemmed from the girl’s communication with a 15-year-old boy who is known to him.

Rodgers, 39, of Lot 52 Atlantic Ville, denied that he assaulted the teenager, causing her actual bodily harm on March 26, at Industry, East Coast Demerara. He further denied that on the same day he threatened her mother with a piece of wood. It is the prosecution’s case that Rodgers went to the girl’s home and confronted her about their mutual 15-year-old friend. According to Prosecutor Anthony, the defendant took away the girl’s phone and ran through her call log and text messages before he dealt her two slaps to the head and face. Additionally, the prosecutor stated that the girl’s mother then enquired about his behaviour, only to be confronted and threatened with a piece of wood by Rodgers.

Ossie Rodgers
Ossie Rodgers

Rodgers’ attorney, Dexter Todd, made an application for bail but Magistrate Alex Moore remanded the accused after the teenager expressed fear for her life and the prosecutor objected.

Prosecutor Anthony objected on the grounds that the victim is a minor who should be protected. He noted that the dispute had evolved from a verbal spat to a physical confrontation and told the court that complaints were made by the victims that Rodgers had been showing up at their home. He said too that there was fear of Rodgers showing up at the girl’s school and that Rodgers had also resisted arrest.

Rodgers had appeared before Magistrate Moore last year and was found guilty and sentenced to community service in another matter.

The case will called again on April 8.

Comments  

President says he took decision on placing US$18m bonus at BoG

President David Granger this morning said that he is responsible for the US$18M ExxonMobil signing bonus being put into an escrow account at the Bank of Guyana, a decision he believes was necessary at the time so that Guyana could be prepared for a National Security Emergency.

Brother in court for sibling’s murder

(Trinidad Guardian) Ramraj Samaroo yesterday appeared in the Couva Magistrates Court charged with the murder of his younger brother.

Auditor General probing gov’t failure to put Exxon signing bonus into Consolidated Fund

Auditor General Deodat Sharma has started investigating the failure by government to transfer the US$18 million signing bonus paid by ExxonMobil last year to the Consolidated Fund, in keeping with the Constitution.

Edghill arrested after bid to enter Parliament

Suspended PPP/C Member of Parliament (MP) Bishop Juan Edghill was yesterday arrested after an attempt to enter the compound of the Public Buildings, where the resumption of the consideration of the national budget estimates saw a brief opposition walkout over House Speaker Dr Barton Scotland’s decision to allow the approval without scrutiny of allocations slated to be examined at the previous day’s disrupted session.

Lethem man wanted over illegal plane, airstrip surrenders

A Lethem contractor, wanted by police in connection with the discovery of an illegal aircraft and airstrip near Santa Fe, in Region Nine in August, has surrendered to the police after months on the run and his lawyer said he acted out of fear for his life.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×