Lethem power situation stabilises

The power supply in Lethem has been stable for the past two weeks and Chairman of the Lethem Power Company (LMPCI) John Macedo says the best is yet to come.

Carl Parker, resident of Lethem and Regional Councillor said for the past two weeks the supply of electricity had been constant: “Right now I am enjoying the electricity; I can look at television and so on.”

He said that officials at the LMPCI should continue to do whatever it is they are doing to maintain the power supply.

In the past, Parker blamed poor management at LMPCI for the electricity woes the community faced, which had led to countless issues for residents.

John Macedo
John Macedo

One such issue occurred during February, where six schools – the St Ignatius Secondary, Primary and Nursery; the Arapaima Primary and Nursery and the Culvert City Nursery – were closed after Lethem and neighbouring communities experienced a prolonged blackout which led to a water shortage.

Macedo yesterday said at present the power company has four generators at its disposal.

He said the two new FG Wilson KVA generators the company received on February 14 are being used for operation and the two older generators which the company previously depended on are on standby.

On March 2, residents complained about daily blackouts despite the arrival of the new generators but Macedo had promised that the situation would be rectified in about three months after a synchronizing mechanism to allow the automatic switch over of generators arrived in the country.

While they had not yet received the mechanism, Macedo said, the operators had managed to stabilize the situation until the necessary tools to remedy the it once and for all arrived.

He said at present, LMPCI has developed a system whereby after 72 hours of power, there is a five-minute blackout period to accommodate the switch-over.

 

 

Comments  

SVN student tops CAPE

Vamanadev Hiralall, of the privately-run Saraswati Vidya Niketan (SVN), is the country’s top performer at this year’s Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) after achieving an accumulated 13 grade one and 3 grade two passes.

By ,

Top CSEC students say number of subjects increase options, test limits

Twenty-six students in the top one percent of the 12,684 who sat this year’s Caribbean Secondary Education Certification (CSEC) examinations earned 12 or more Grade I passes, with half of them, including the top performer, coming from Queen’s College (QC).

By ,

Hemraj Kissoon, others testify at CoI for return of lands

On the second day of the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into African ancestral lands and other matters, four witnesses made cases for the return of lands they feel they are rightly entitled to, which were either taken by the state or occupied by private owners.

By ,

Wheelchair bound accused found dead in prison cell

Shelton George, the man charged with both murdering a waitress at a Chinese restaurant and the attempted murder of a magistrate, was found dead in his cell at the Lusignan Prison yesterday morning.

Triumph NDC orders halt to ground-shaking works

The Chairman of the Triumph Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) yesterday instructed workers employed on a private site, reportedly intended to build a first-floor pool, to cease operations, just two days after residents called on authorities to halt its construction.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×