Rehab of East Bank Berbice road to start in October

The rehabilitation of the East Bank Berbice road is expected to start in October of this year, according to Sunil Ganesh, the engineer overseeing the project.

According to him, works will start from Main Street, New Amsterdam to Light Town – a 16-kilometre stretch of road.

“The road design, which is being prepared by a Canadian consulting firm EXP in association with CEMCO, is expected to be completed in July, 2014,” Ganesh said in a release from the Ministry of Public Works on Friday.

Residents have been complaining for years over the poor condition of the road and there have been numerous protests.

Funding for the road will be made available via a loan from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) under an agreement for road network upgrade and expansion, with the Government of Guyana, the release said.

The finished product will be an asphaltic concrete road.

In the meantime, the Force Account Unit staff and contractor’s efforts will continue to keep this road “trafficable”, the release said.

In February this year, Stabroek News reported that residents were planning to stage another protest if government did not keep its promise to construct a new road. In past years, residents have protested on May 5th       whenever government officials visited Highbury for observances of Indian Arrival Day. The protest may have been scheduled for today, possibly explaining why the press release was issued on Friday.

The residents had told Stabroek News in February that they were “waiting for the budget to pass to know if the road was included.”

They recalled that following a major protest last year, promises were made for the construction of a new road in the first quarter of 2014.

Drivers told this newspaper that they cannot avoid driving into the potholes and that it is causing severe damage to their vehicles and resulting in them undergoing additional expenses every six weeks.

A resident told this newspaper that if the government officials know they “cannot fix the road they should come out and say what the plans are. They can’t allow the time to pass and don’t say anything.”

Comments  

Guyanese man shot dead in Port of Spain

(Trinidad Express) A Las Lomas man was knifed to death by a woman during an argument on Friday.

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Just days after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 site in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s subsidiary, EEPGL is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site.

US government shuts down as Trump feuds with Democrats

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) – The world’s most powerful government shut down today after President Donald Trump and the U.S.

House approves $1.93 billion for sugar severance

-number of redundant workers at 4,763 The National Assembly yesterday approved nearly $2 billion to facilitate full severance by the end of January for a little more than 1,600 of the 4,763 sugar workers that have been made redundant.

Gov’t meets unions on sugar industry’s future

Following criticism over government’s handling of the restructuring of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo), President David Granger and members of his Cabinet yesterday met with the leadership of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers’ Union (GAWU) and the National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NAACIE) to discuss the future of the sugar industry.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×