Carol Ann Lynch freed again of murder charge

Carol Ann Lynch entering a taxi followed by her father Robert Lynch (right).

A weeping Carol Ann Lynch swiftly exited the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court yesterday morning after she was freed a second time from a charge of murdering her husband, Farouk Razac.

The former beauty queen was first freed of the charge in 2007, but was then charged again in 2010.

Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry who had been conducting the preliminary inquiry that began on April 1, ruled in favour of the defence, just after listening to submissions by both the defence and the prosecution.

Carol Ann Lynch entering a taxi followed by her father Robert Lynch (right).
Carol Ann Lynch entering a taxi followed by her father Robert Lynch (right).

Attorney Latchmi Rahamat, who appeared in association with Attorney Peter Hugh, in her submission, argued that no case was made out against Lynch. Rahamat told the court that on the day in question, Lynch had gone out and left Razac at home. There was an employee was in the yard, with keys to the house and full access to Razac.

The lawyer argued that evidence whether circumstantial or otherwise, had to rationalise a nexus between the accused and the victim. That nexus, she opined, was not made. Additionally, the attorney then asked why that employee was not sitting in the prisoner’s dock, as she pointed to Lynch in the dock.

In response, the prosecution, through Police Corporal Bharat Mangru, begged to differ with Rahamat’s submission and told the court that the prosecution had produced sufficient evidence against Lynch. He then pointed to a witness’s testimony, but after Magistrate Sewnarine-Beharry reviewed the evidence offered by the witness, she ruled that sufficient evidence was not presented by the prosecution and therefore cleared Lynch.

The court had heard from 17 witnesses including the daughter of Razac and Lynch, Lynch’s niece as well as her father and brother, Robert Lynch and Robert Lynch Jnr.

Lynch was first charged in May 2007 after Razac was found dead on the floor of their Eping Avenue, Bel Air home. Following a PI, then magistrate Gordon Gilhuys in late December 2007 had ruled that no prima facie case was made out against her and she was subsequently discharged.

Shortly after the case had ended, police re-arrested her with a view to re-charging. She was, however, released a few days later after her lawyers moved to the High Court.

In October 2010, police filed a fresh murder charge against Lynch.

The following month, the then acting chief magistrate issued a warrant for her arrest after being told by the police that Lynch had been formally served notice of the charge but had not appeared.

When the matter was called for the third time on November 10, 2010 at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts, she was still absent and so the charge could not be read. In the months after, she still did not appear in court and the case was adjourned several times.

There was no word on her whereabouts until September last year when reports surfaced that she had been working for a local tour operator, unknown to police. Attempts had been made by the police to apprehend her but to no avail. Shortly after, police issued a new wanted bulletin for her and she turned herself in.

Lynch and Razac had previously been charged with unlawful possession of four 9 mm magazines, one Beretta automatic pistol and 120 rounds of 9 mm ammunition, which were found at the same home on November 10, 2006. They were granted $1 million bail each and after her husband’s death Lynch faced those charges alone. They were later dismissed.


Section of Kitty Public Rd to be closed from Wednesday

A section of the Kitty Public Road is to be closed from Wednesday as the Ministry of Public Infrastructure steps up road works in the area.

Nandlall rejects Harmon explanation on Police Service Commission

Anil Nandlall Former Attorney General Anil Nandlall today rejected an explanation by Minister of State, Joseph Harmon over the government’s directive to the Police Service Commission to halt promotions.

Prisoners in Lusignan holding area hand over 33 improvised weapons

The improvised weapons (Prisons photo) Prison Staff this morning with the support of the members of the other services, reported for duty at the new holding area lusignan Prison.

Regional nations plus U.S. condemn Venezuela’s new constituent assembly

Nicolas Maduro CARACAS/LIMA, (Reuters) – A group of 12 regional nations plus the United States rejected Venezuela’s new government-allied legislative superbody, saying they would continue to regard the opposition-controlled congress as the country’s only legitimate law maker.

18 Lusignan prisoners hurt after reported bid to kill ‘informant’

Eighteen prisoners at the Lusignan penitentiary were being treated for injuries last night following a reported attempt to kill a fellow inmate during which warders fired shots.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now