Prosecution ready for trial of cops in Colwyn Harding assault

-accused claims reporter pulled knife on him

Rosel Tilbury-Douglas

The prosecution is ready to try police constables Devin Singh and Rosel Tilbury-Douglas for the assault of detainee Colwyn Harding, and a special prosecutor will be brought in to prosecute the case.

This was made known yesterday at the Providence Magistrate’s Court, where the trial is to be held.

The case was the first matter heard by Magistrate Leron Daly and Harding was absent from the proceedings. The court heard that he had been with a doctor at the time.

Daniels said the prosecution has acquired enough statements in the matters and are ready to proceed with the trial. Daniels, however, will not be involved in the prosecution due to the fact that she was among those who submitted statements during the investigation.

 Rosel Tilbury-Douglas
Rosel Tilbury-Douglas
Devin Singh
Devin Singh

Singh and Tilbury-Douglas are jointly charged with assaulting Harding, with intent to cause actual bodily harm between November 1 and November 13, 2013, at the Timehri Police Station. Singh was also separately charged with the unlawful assault of Harding. They denied the charges and Singh was released on $200,000 bail while his female counterpart received $100,000 bail.

Harding had alleged that police used a condom covered baton to rape him during his arrest at a house in Timehri and that he was later subjected to beatings while in custody at the Timehri Police Station. The charges were instituted after nearly six months of investigations.

Attorney Leslie Sobers, who represents Tilbury-Douglas, yesterday requested copies of the statements for his perusal and to adequately lead his client’s defence.

Singh’s lawyer, Glen Hanoman, was absent but Sobers held in his place and he said that Singh had lodged a complaint that a knife was pulled on him by a journalist after his arraignment on Tuesday. Sobers explained that Singh had jumped a bannister at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts complex after a knife had been pulled on him by a media operative. The incident, Singh claimed, had prompted him to make a mad dash along Brickdam in a bid to escape.

A formal report has been lodged with the Brickdam police station.

After nearly two hours after their matters were called on Tuesday, Singh and Tilbury-Douglas exited the courtroom while a slew of journalists waited outside for them. Tilbury-Douglas left the courtroom hidden beneath a shirt and a few minutes later Singh exited.

The man jumped over the bannister of a stairway and made his way quickly to the rear gateway used by magistrates and court workers. He was soon hotly pursued by media operatives.

The next hearing is scheduled for June 24.

 

Comments  

Billions diverted by prison unrest partly to blame for GuySuCo severance shortfall in budget – Trotman

Alliance for Change (AFC) leader Raphael Trotman yesterday said the diversion of billions to the security sector after the destruction of the Camp Street prison was partly responsible for the government not budgeting the full sum for severance payments to laid off sugar workers.

Cops seek motive for Pomeroon murders

  The police were up to yesterday afternoon still working to ascertain the motive behind the murders of Ambrose Baharally and Martin Godette, the Pomeroon farmers who were shot dead on Sunday and a potential witness was taken into custody to assist with the investigation.

Ramotar claims gov’t ignored promised India loans for sugar industry

Former President Donald Ramotar has accused the current government of accepting loans from India that he initiated except those pertaining to the rehabilitation of the sugar industry but State Minister Joseph Harmon says he is unaware of the claim and has urged that the former head of state prove it.

Child rapist sentenced to 45 years

Omadat Persaud, who was on trial for raping a five-year-old girl in 2015, was yesterday afternoon sentenced to 45 years in jail after a jury unanimously convicted him of the crime.

Mother urges justice for vendor killed by city cop

The mother of Marlon Fredericks, the mentally-challenged vendor who was fatally shot by a member of the city constabulary on Sunday, yesterday called for justice for her son, while saying that an autopsy found that he died of a gunshot wound to his chest.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×