Turkeyen fire victim died of smoke inhalation

Former Guyanese Olympic marathon runner Sewsankar, who died after a fire at his home on Tuesday, was yesterday laid to rest.

The 76-year-old man was pulled out of his bathtub by fire fighters after his Turkeyen home was engulfed in flames, just minutes before midnight.

He was trapped for nearly half an hour, after seeking refuge in his bathtub. Sewsankar filled the tub with water and lay down in it, waiting for someone to rescue him.

He died shortly after he was rescued by two firefighters who cut open the heavily grilled windows of the house to get to him. A post-mortem examination found that smoke inhalation was the cause of death.

Sewsankar had survived the 2001 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in New York. He had been on the 34th floor of one of the buildings at the time of the attack. He also survived several heart surgeries in the past.

Fire officials are yet to ascertain the cause of the fire. But some residents blamed it on several bouts of low voltage that occurred earlier that night while another set believed it could have been arson.

Around 11.50 pm, five minutes after the blaze started on Monday, firefighters responded to a call that a house was on fire in Turkeyen. Three fire stations responded to the call, dispatching over 20 firefighters.

The fireman in charge, Joseph Mc Donald, had stated that because the house was heavily grilled, it barred the firemen from gaining access to Sewsankar.

He said the grillwork left no space for escape, forcing them to cut it to reach the elderly man.

Residents lambasted the fire stations for not “being prepared,” and what they said was “slow work” to rescue the elderly man. Angry relatives lamented that an ambulance should have been dispatched to the scene because someone was trapped and could have been seriously injured. One relative complained that he should not have been transported in the back of a police van.

Sewsankar’s son, Sonny told Stabroek News that around 11.45 pm he returned home and saw their living room on fire. And his father was screaming for help. “I run to the back of the yard and run up the back step but the fire was moving quick and the back started to ketch,” he said.

“He was hollering “someone help me! Help me! And I tell him go into the bathroom and stay there. I couldn’t save him because by the time I opened the door the smoke was thick and the gas bottle exploded,” he said.

Sonny said he yelled for neighbours to help him save his father while instructing him to fill the tub with water and lie in it until someone rescued him.

When Sewsankar’s body was lifted out of the house, villagers started screaming for an ambulance but there was no ambulance. He was placed in the tray of a police pickup truck and taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation where he was pronounced dead.

Comments  

Wave of looting shutters stores, spreads fear in Venezuela

CARACAS/SAN CRISTOBAL, Venezuela,  (Reuters) – A wave of looting by hungry mobs across Venezuela has left streets of shuttered shops in provincial towns and pushed some store owners to arm themselves with guns and machetes, stirring fear that the turmoil could spread to the capital Caracas.

NY man gets 41 years for killing Guyanese girl

Taariq Stephens (New York Daily News photo) A Brooklyn man got a 41-year maximum prison sentence yesterday for killing a 16-year-old Guyanese girl who authorities said rejected his advances.

Debutant Ngidi leads South Africa to series victory v India

PRETORIA,  (Reuters) – Debutant Lungi Ngidi took six wickets as South Africa defeated India by 135 runs to claim victory in the second test in Pretoria today and also win the series with an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match contest.

T&T judge grants injunction stopping highway project

(Trinidad Guardian) Environmental activist group Fishermen and Friends of the Sea (FFOS) has obtained an interim injunction barring the Government from continuing work on the first phase of the $400M Churchill Roosevelt Highway Extension to Manzanilla.

Three held over Pomeroon double murder

Three persons, including the widow of one of the two Pomeroon farmers shot dead on Sunday, have been taken into custody and police say one of them led detectives to the location of an arms cache that allegedly belonged to one of the deceased.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×