CCJ affirms sentences of Guyanese felons

Two convicted Guyanese felons have failed in their last bid to secure freedom after their appeal of four-year sentences was thrown out by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ).

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in a press release yesterday said that the CCJ delivered a majority verdict and affirmed the 4-year jail sentences imposed on convicted felons Paul Lashley and John Campayne by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry on December 28, 2012.

The State was represented by Sir Fenton Ramsahoye QC in Trinidad and Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Sonia Joseph at the Guyana Court Appeal building.

Giving some background for the case, the release said that on June 15, 2012 contrary to Section 229 (a) of the Criminal Law (Offences) Act, Caption 8:01, the police instituted the indictable charge of break and enter against the two defendants/appellants, 23 year-old sales rep, Paul Lashley and 2l year-old technician/goldminer John Campayne, of two laptop computers, two safes, $380,000 (30,000 Indian rupees), $925,000 and US$2,740 property of Hemant Narine.

The offence was committed between Sunday June 10, 2012 and Monday June 11, 2012 at Industrial Safety Supplies Inc in Georgetown.

After hearing the indictable matter summarily, the Chief Magistrate, correctly found both the applicants guilty and sentenced them to four years imprisonment, the release said adding that the two convicts appealed their sentences to the Guyana Court of Appeal but it was dismissed.

The duo then applied for special leave to the CCJ to hear their appeal, which was granted. The application for special leave to appeal was heard on February 18, 20I4 at the Guyana International Conference Centre where a special sitting of the CCJ had been held.

The release said that yesterday the CCJ dismissed the appeal, reaffirmed the the 4-year sentences and credited the 2 appellants with 4 days that they spent on remand.

Comments  

Sri Lankan justice minister sacked over criticism of Chinese port deal

Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe   COLOMBO, (Reuters) – Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena today sacked the justice minister over his criticism of a $1.1 billion deal, signed last month, to lease a port to a Chinese company, the cabinet spokesman said.

Harvard researchers say Exxon misled public on climate science

NEW YORK,  (Reuters) – Two Harvard University researchers said in a study published today they had collected scientific data proving Exxon Mobil Corp made “explicit factual misrepresentations” in newspaper ads it purchased to convey its views on the oil industry and climate science.

GBTI half year profit at $603m, down from $961m last year

  In the wake of rising bad loans and a massive alleged fraud against it this year, the Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry (GBTI) has posted an unaudited net after tax profit of $603m for the first six months of this year compared to $961m in the same period for 2016.

SVN student tops CAPE

Vamanadev Hiralall, of the privately-run Saraswati Vidya Niketan (SVN), is the country’s top performer at this year’s Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) after achieving an accumulated 13 grade one and 3 grade two passes.

By ,

Top CSEC students say number of subjects increases options, tests limits

Twenty-six students in the top one percent of the 12,684 who sat this year’s Caribbean Secondary Education Certification (CSEC) examinations earned 12 or more Grade I passes, with half of them, including the top performer, coming from Queen’s College (QC).

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×