Suicide suspected in Constabulary officer’s death

– was being sought over missing money

A 47-year-old City Constabulary Quartermaster whose lifeless body was discovered around 5.30 am yesterday by relatives at his Sophia home is believed to have committed suicide.

Dead is Compton Joseph, who according to reports, was being sought by the police and Constabulary officials in connection with money belonging to the Constabulary which he could not account for.

Chief Constable Andrew Foo said Joseph was employed as a Quartermaster and had sole responsibility for the Constabulary’s Quartermaster Store.

The missing money amounted to approximately $1 million. However, Joseph’s neighbours told this newspaper that he had admitted to taking $600,000 but said it was not for his personal use.

Foo said that last Wednesday, a former offender went to the City Council to uplift bail money and the money could not be found. However, at that point in time there were no suspicions about where the money may have gone.

According to Foo it was Joseph’s actions that raised suspicions. Foo explained that after the issue about the non-available bail money, Joseph stayed away from work. “He was absent from Thursday to Saturday last week and his day off was on Sunday and he proceeded to stay away on Monday,” Foo said.

Officials attempted to contact Joseph by phone, before eventually going to his home.

Foo said that on Monday Joseph’s mother told Constabulary officials that he had been admitted to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) after consuming

a poisonous substance in an attempt to commit suicide.

However, around midnight on Monday, Joseph left the hospital and it was at this point that the Constabulary thought it best to involve the police in the matter.

“This morning [yesterday] his mother said he drank poison and was found dead in front of his bathroom,” Foo said.

Contacted, Mayor Hamilton Green said it was unfortunate that Joseph allegedly took his own life.

When Stabroek News visited one of his homes at ‘B’ Field Sophia, Rocquel Mingo, who is currently carrying his child was too distraught to speak.

Efforts to contact his wife Roxanne Beresford were futile.

Persons living in the area said that the night before Joseph’s death, police officers went to his ‘B’ Field Sophia home searching for him before leaving.

He also leaves to mourn one child and relatives.

 

 

 

 

Comments  

Guyanese man shot dead in Port of Spain

(Trinidad Express) A Las Lomas man was knifed to death by a woman during an argument on Friday.

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Just days after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 site in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s subsidiary, EEPGL is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site.

US government shuts down as Trump feuds with Democrats

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) – The world’s most powerful government shut down today after President Donald Trump and the U.S.

House approves $1.93 billion for sugar severance

-number of redundant workers at 4,763 The National Assembly yesterday approved nearly $2 billion to facilitate full severance by the end of January for a little more than 1,600 of the 4,763 sugar workers that have been made redundant.

Gov’t meets unions on sugar industry’s future

Following criticism over government’s handling of the restructuring of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo), President David Granger and members of his Cabinet yesterday met with the leadership of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers’ Union (GAWU) and the National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NAACIE) to discuss the future of the sugar industry.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×