Corentyne field foreman strangled

A field foreman attached to the Guyana Sugar Corporation’s (GuySuCo) Skeldon estate was found dead behind a popular backtrack boating service at Springlands, Corentyne early yesterday morning and an autopsy revealed that he was strangled.

Ravindranauth Tirka
Ravindranauth Tirka

Details surrounding the death of Ravindranauth Tirka called ‘Engine,’ 52, of Lot 498 Block 16 Line Path, Corentyne are sketchy. However, according to reports, Tirka’s body was found sometime around 5:30 am yesterday and blood was oozing out of his nostrils and he was lying face down. It also appeared as though the man was robbed as personal items were missing.

Tirka’s wife Radica called “Mala” said that at around 6:30pm on Monday, she spoke to her husband and he informed her that he would be home at around 7pm. After she noticed that 7pm had passed, she called his phone but only got his voicemail. The distraught wife recalled that when she woke up yesterday, she did not see Tirka and told their 19-year-old son.

He reportedly told his mother to report to the estate that Tirka was sick. Radica recalled that she subsequently left for the Skeldon Hospital to seek medical attention. While there, she received a telephone call from the police and was told that they needed to speak to her urgently and they asked if she could return home. The woman recalled that when she asked what had happened, she was told the tragic news. Subsequently, she left the hospital and along with other relatives, accompanied the police to the scene and positively identified the body as that of her husband.

Meanwhile, another relative, Devika Permaul told Stabroek News that at around 6am, her neighbour called out to her and asked if she heard that Tirka had drowned. Permaul said that she did not know and she and the neighbour left and went over to her sister’s house. When they arrived, they saw a police officer and heard him asking her nephew if his father was called ‘Engine.’ The woman said that when she enquired from the officer what had happened, he related the story.

According to Permaul, at the scene, it was observed that Tirka’s face was partially buried in a heap of sand. She noted that his pockets were empty and cash along with his identification card and an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card were missing. Tirka was also robbed of a hand band worth approximately $200,000 and his cellular phone.

Permaul stated that from all indications, it seemed that Tirka put up a fight with his assailants as he was formally dressed and the clothes were dishevelled.

Additionally, Permaul related that on Monday afternoon, Tirka received a call and was told by the caller that the estate manager had a function and his presence was requested. But when estate officials visited the family yesterday to sympathise after hearing the tragic news, they told the family that the estate did not host any function, Permaul said.

Meanwhile, an autopsy performed yesterday at the Skeldon hospital mortuary revealed that Tirka was strangled.

He leaves to mourn his wife, two children and other relatives and friends. Police investigations are continuing.


City councillors vote for revised parking meter deal

Fifteen city councillors voted yesterday in favour of accepting the recommendations of the parking meter renegotiation committee, which would see a reduction in parking fees to $150 per hour, exemptions for religious organisations and schools, and Smart City Solutions (SCS) giving up on their claim to garage parking.

Soldier remanded over $5M armed robberies, gun and ammo

A GDF rank was yesterday remanded to prison over three armed robbery charges and alleged possession of an unlicensed gun and ammunition.

Trotman stoutly defends ExxonMobil investment here

Minister of Natural Resources and Leader of the Alliance for Change (AFC), Raphael Trotman on Monday praised ExxonMobil for investing in the oil sector here and said it is now resulting in other important companies wanting to do business here.

City cop for manslaughter charge

The city lance corporal, who on Sunday allegedly shot and killed Marlon Fredericks, a mentally-challenged vendor, after he reportedly attempted to flee custody is to be charged with manslaughter.

Justice Bulkan’s appointment seen as helping to clear Appeal Court backlog

Former Magistrate and Univer-sity of the West Indies (UWI) lecturer Christopher Arif Bulkan was yesterday sworn in as a temporary Appellate Judge by President David Granger who said that the appointment is part of efforts to ensure that justice is dispensed in an efficient and timely manner.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now