Tenders in for Parika, Supenaam stelling works

Around $10M will be spent on rehabilitative works to the Supenaam stelling as tenders for the contract were opened this week at the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board.

The stelling has been bedevilled by complications for years with BK International, the contracting company which initially built the structure and the Works Ministry trading blame on who should be held responsible for the defects.

BK has said that it will not be held responsible as the Ministry of Works “messed” up the stelling with the modifications it made.

The stelling was completed to the tune of $431 million but additional works, costing over $100 million, were eventually needed.

Last year September, a section of the concrete access way to ramps used to board the ferries, MV Sabanto and Kanawan, gave way under the weight of a city-bound heavy-duty truck carrying several tonnes of rice. The collapsed segment of the access way started out as a small hole but according to commuters, months of neglect and continued use by vehicles, including the heavy-duty trucks, saw the hole grow bigger until it became very unstable and weak.

It is believed that the hole was caused overtime by the weight of wheels of the heavy-duty trucks as they turned off from the straight section of the pathway to the section where they usually board the ferries. Several other sections have deteriorated.

Golden Fleece Rice Investment shouldered the responsibility in patching some of collapsed sections as that company had said it was looking after its interest since it used the area frequently in its transport of rice.

20140719satrohan20140719jagmohanThis week five companies placed tenders for rehabilitative works on the stelling. Their names and bids are shown in the table below.

Meanwhile, tenders were also opened for rehab works on the Parika Stelling. The stelling has been prone to flooding and some of the works will be done to raise the deck to prevent this.

The estimated cost for this project is $32.8M and five companies’ submitted bids. These are shown below.

 

 

Comments  

Arif Bulkan to take oath as Justice of Appeal

Attorney, Dr Arif Bulkan is to be sworn in as an acting Justice of Appeal tomorrow.

Heavy winds, rain zap power to East Coast, West Bank

GPL says that some of its customers on the West Coast and East Bank of Demerara experienced unusually lengthy power cuts as a result of heavy winds and rain last evening and early this morning.

Billions diverted by prison unrest partly to blame for GuySuCo severance shortfall in budget – Trotman

Alliance for Change (AFC) leader Raphael Trotman yesterday said the diversion of billions to the security sector after the destruction of the Camp Street prison was partly responsible for the government not budgeting the full sum for severance payments to laid off sugar workers.

Cops seek motive for Pomeroon murders

  The police were up to yesterday afternoon still working to ascertain the motive behind the murders of Ambrose Baharally and Martin Godette, the Pomeroon farmers who were shot dead on Sunday and a potential witness was taken into custody to assist with the investigation.

Ramotar claims gov’t ignored promised India loans for sugar industry

Former President Donald Ramotar has accused the current government of accepting loans from India that he initiated except those pertaining to the rehabilitation of the sugar industry but State Minister Joseph Harmon says he is unaware of the claim and has urged that the former head of state prove it.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×