Suspect charged in murder of elderly North Ruimveldt woman

-denies knowledge of crime

Accused of killing elderly re-migrant Joyce Lewis in her home, Junior Williams was yesterday arraigned on a murder charge but denied knowing anything about the crime.

“They charge me for something me ain’t know nothing ’bout,” Williams, 23, of Second Street, Crane Housing Scheme, said after the charge was read against him at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

He had already been remanded to prison on Monday after being charged with possession of an unlicensed gun. He was not required to enter a plea to the charge yesterday and was again remanded to prison.

Junior Williams
Junior Williams

It was alleged that Williams, who is also known as Kevin Alfred, murdered Lewis, 75, on March 26 at Georgetown.

The court asked whether the facts were as stated in the charge. The prosecution responded in the affirmative, after which no further facts of what transpired on the day in question were presented to the court. Williams, who was unrepresented by an attorney, enquired whether he could speak and was given the opportunity by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry, who cautioned him that whatever he said may be used against him.

Williams said that since he was held by the police he had given “no statement or nothing.”

Joyce Lewis
Joyce Lewis

“They ain’t take nothing, nothing from me,” he said. He explained that it was only after being taken to court yesterday and while seated in the prisoners’ holding facility at court, moments before making his appearance before the magistrate, that he was informed by police that he was being charged with murder.

Magistrate Sewnarine-Beharry however informed the accused that he cannot be granted bail for the offence with which he has been charged and would as a result be remanded to prison.

Prosecutor Grant informed the court that the prosecution intends to call 17 witnesses.

The matter will be called again on September 23, for commencement of the preliminary inquiry into the charge.

Lewis, who lived alone, was found dead in her Lot 3630 Christiani Street, North Ruimveldt home and was believed to have been strangled during an early morning robbery.

Her body was discovered at her home by the police and her sister, Veronica Deen.

Sources close to the investigation said that Lewis was found sprawled on a bed with her underwear pulled to her ankles. There were also dark marks around her neck.

The elderly woman had moved back to Guyana from New York in December last year. The intruder is believed to have gained entrance through a window at the back of the two-storey house. The window was broken and the grill barring entry into the house was clipped.

Comments  

Dozens lose homes in Plaisance mystery fire

Mashramani celebrations ground to halt for several families yesterday afternoon, when approximately 30 persons lost their homes after a fire of unknown origin ripped through three Victoria Road, Plaisance properties, including an apartment building.

By ,

US$3M settlement for outstanding GTT shares payment not finalised

Minister of State Joseph Harmon says that the US$3 million settlement offer made by Hong Kong Golden Telecom Limited (HKGT) on the outstanding balance for its purchase of government shares in the Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company (GTT) is being actively considered, but the government’s goal is to recover the entire US$5 million that is owed.

Jagdeo questions planned borrowing for sugar estates, revised targets

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo on Thursday criticised government and Minister of Finance Winston Jordan on the heels of the announced plan to borrow cash from local banks to reopen two sugar estates and to fund critical current and capital Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) programmes.

Private sector welcomes new wave of oil job opportunities as boon for local content

The private sector is upbeat about the nearly three dozen-odd opportunities recently advertised in the oil and gas sector as it goes some way towards meeting local content needs, according to Private Sector Commission (PSC) Chairman Eddie Boyer.

Guyanese ‘extra and proud’ at ‘Black Panther’ opening

‘Black Panther,’ the new Marvel Studios cinematic juggernaut opened in Guyanese theatres to overwhelming support on Thursday evening, which saw a large number of patrons turning out in African cultural display to mark the occasion.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×