$10,000 student grants not linked to attendance

-payout delayed to October

Minister Priya Manickchand discusses an issue with a parent following the consultation on Thursday (Ministry of Education photo)

The government’s $10,000 education grants for public school students will be available to all registered students, regardless of whether they attend school or not.

This is according to Minister of Education Priya Manickchand, who, during a consultation with relevant stakeholders on Thursday at the West Demerara Secondary School, said that the decision is fixed for now but may change in the coming year.

Guyana is the first country in this region where every single student will be entitled to a grant, Manickchand said. This is the first time that the programme will be run in Guyana.

Minister Priya Manickchand discusses an issue with a parent following the consultation on Thursday (Ministry of Education photo)
Minister Priya Manickchand discusses an issue with a parent following the consultation on Thursday (Ministry of Education photo)

However, concern was raised by a parent at the consultation who pointed out that though many children are on registers, they do not attend school.

“Right now we’re not tying the delivery of the grant to attendance this year because we did not say to you last year that your children had to go to school before you get this and I think it would be unfair for us to impose that on you now,” Manickchand responded. She continued, “But what you are saying there is something we will take into consideration in going forward with this grant and we may very well apply conditions such as you have to have X percent attendance or a medical to show why you did not go to school before you can access it.”

However, she said, such a decision would require a number of further consultations with parents and teachers before its implementation.

She further pointed out that the grant is $10,000 per child, not per family. “It’s $10,000 per child and that really will come in handy as a little help. So even though you all pretty much said at the beginning of this that we are doing better now than we were 10 years ago, we know that this will come in as a good assistance to help us and partner with us to educate your children,” she explained.

Manickchand further said the grants will not be available until about mid-October and not the first week of September when school reopens.

“We have to collect all the registers from our thousand schools in September, give that to either the banks or Western Union or whoever we’re using, and have them enter it into their systems. We have to verify that these are the students. So you’re not going to get this on the first of September when school opens…It’s going to be more towards mid-October, by the time we hand in the registers and so on, that you will get it,” the minister said. The delay, she said, comes from the fact that many children are not on the registers, including about 15% of Grade One students. The ministry, she indicated, needs time to better organise these registers.

Stakeholders were also given the opportunity to raise any other concerns they may have on matters such as the automatic promotion, poor pass rates in Mathematics and English as well as the availability of remedial classes to students.

Parents were asked just how they would like to receive their grants and, after indicating that they would prefer cash instead of vouchers that could be spent at accredited stores, the majority of those present said they would prefer to collect their monies through the bank instead of the post office or money transfer services, such as Western Union and MoneyGram.

However, Manickchand said using banks would subject parents to tougher verification processes. At least one bank, she said, informed her that persons who did not have accounts with it would require two proofs of address before they can access an account.

The ministry has carried out various consultations across the country and in each the responses vary on just how these grants will be delivered.

Comments  

City councillors vote for revised parking meter deal

Fifteen city councillors voted yesterday in favour of accepting the recommendations of the parking meter renegotiation committee, which would see a reduction in parking fees to $150 per hour, exemptions for religious organisations and schools, and Smart City Solutions (SCS) giving up on their claim to garage parking.

Soldier remanded over $5M armed robberies, gun and ammo

A GDF rank was yesterday remanded to prison over three armed robbery charges and alleged possession of an unlicensed gun and ammunition.

Trotman stoutly defends ExxonMobil investment here

Minister of Natural Resources and Leader of the Alliance for Change (AFC), Raphael Trotman on Monday praised ExxonMobil for investing in the oil sector here and said it is now resulting in other important companies wanting to do business here.

City cop for manslaughter charge

The city lance corporal, who on Sunday allegedly shot and killed Marlon Fredericks, a mentally-challenged vendor, after he reportedly attempted to flee custody is to be charged with manslaughter.

Justice Bulkan’s appointment seen as helping to clear Appeal Court backlog

Former Magistrate and Univer-sity of the West Indies (UWI) lecturer Christopher Arif Bulkan was yesterday sworn in as a temporary Appellate Judge by President David Granger who said that the appointment is part of efforts to ensure that justice is dispensed in an efficient and timely manner.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×