Gayle pulls out of South Africa’s Ram Slam T20

SYDNEY, Australia, CMC– Chris Gayle has been forced to pull out of South Africa’s domestic Ram Slam T20 Tournament because he would not recover in time from a torn hamstring, which occurred during an ODI against India in November.

Chris Gayle
Chris Gayle

Gayle has announced that he would not be travelling to Durban but instead would focus on making a return for West Indies’ regional 50-over competition, which begins at the end of January.

This is the second time Gayle has withdrawn from the South African side, Dolphins, after a similar situation two seasons ago. “I am devastated not to be able to join up with the Sunfoil Dolphins this year,” said Gaye in a statement released by Dolphins.

“It’s the second time I have been unable to play with them because of injury so it’s extremely frustrating.”

Gayle originally signed with Dolphins for the 2011-12 tournament but did not play a game after arriving in South Africa carrying an injury.

This time around the West Indies opener was initially expected to be out of action for up to five weeks, but has still not returned to full fitness.

“I put everything into my rehab program and really hoped I’d be given the all clear. I know how much planning had been done by Jesse Chellan and Lance Klusener which makes this even more disappointing,” he said. “I wish the guys all the best with their campaign and hopefully it’s third time lucky should I have the opportunity to play for the Dolphins in the future.”

Gayle took no part in West Indies’ ongoing series against New Zealand and has also been ruled out of the T20 series which start on Saturday.

“We received confirmation from Chris’ agent today that his rehab and recovery has not progressed as well as they had hoped. Estimates are that he will only return to full fitness by early Feb. It’s a real pity for all concerned,” said Challan, the Dolphins CEO.

“Our players and fans alike were really looking forward to seeing this global star in action in Durban. But this is part and parcel of international sport. We wish Chris a speedy recovery and every success in the year ahead.”

Comments  

Warriors blitz Stars

A resurgent Guyana Amazon Warriors side completed a comprehensive seven wickets victory over the out-of-sorts St Lucia Stars to cruise to their second consecutive home win in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) at the Guyana National Stadium, Providence, last evening.

By ,

Barcelona sue Neymar for alleged breach of contract

BARCELONA,  (Reuters) – Barcelona are suing Neymar for 8.5 million euros ($10.00 million) for breach of contract as they want him to return the bonus he was paid when he signed a new five-year deal just nine months before joining Paris St Germain, the Spanish club said yesterday.

Ronaldo loses appeal against five-match ban

(Reuters) – Cristiano Ronaldo will have to serve his five-match ban for pushing a referee after the Spanish sports court (TAD) rejected Real Madrid’s appeal against the length of the suspension, Spanish media reported yesterday citing court officials.

Western Tigers in last gasp draw with GFC

A 90th+3 minute strike secured Western Tigers a 1-1 draw with Georgetown Football Club (GFC), when the Corona Beer Invitational Football Championship continued on Monday at the GFC ground, Bourda.

GFF happy with u15 performance

Despite concluding the CONCACAF u15 Boys Championship with only one victory from four matches, Guyana Football Federation (GFF) President Wayne Forde said, he is delighted with the team’s overall performance.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×