Warner: Centre of Excellence not for sale, never was

Member of Parliament for Chaguanas West Jack Warner yesterday responded to newspaper reports that CONCACAF had taken legal action preventing him from selling the Centre of Excellence in Macoya. Warner said the Centre of Excellence is not for sale, and never was. The following is Warner’s statement –

I promised never to respond to any article written about Jack Warner in relation to CONCACAF and FIFA but two articles, “CONCACAF Blocks Jack” – Express and “BLOCKED” – Newsday, which are nothing more than blatant and outright lies have forced me to respond.

The contents of these articles I was told by some of my former Cabinet colleagues were discussed in Cabinet only last week Thursday.

So now that the Government is in trouble it does not surprise me that a Jack Warner/CONCACAF story is their medium for distraction.

The truth is, if anyone can come forward with an iota of evidence to support that the Centre of Excellence is being sold by Jack Warner to any consortium of businessmen, local or foreign, I will sell all my worldly possessions to that person for one dollar.

 

One Dollar!

But I am not fazed because I was told by my friends in Government that this is just the beginning of many attacks to be leveled against Jack Warner to discredit me as a person and as a threat to the political landscape.

My sources have even told me that this is a personal attack against me by the Attorney General and advised that I should not be shocked if he himself called CONCACAF to pursue this action. That an Attorney General can influence the local media to such an extent is simply frightening.

However, if CONCACAF indeed has filed a caveat against me all I can say is that both CONCACAF and FIFA have unlimited funding and they can spend their money as they wish if they want to do that.

But if FIFA and CONCACAF wish to allow this People’s Partnership Government to influence them to become embroiled in the locally immoral and corrupt politics, this is sad and disturbing.

The Press must emerge as a credible institution. This is the same local Press that found one hundred DEA agents in Trinidad.

This is the same local Press that cannot even inform us about outstanding stories such as e-mailgate, the multi-million dollar drug bust, the hit and run of a Chaguanas West constituent by the Attorney General’s driver, the use of confidential information from a police file, among many others.

I wish to state categorically that the Centre of Excellence is not for sale.

Let me also state that CONCACAF does not have any equitable interest in the Centre of Excellence and has no claims to ownership.

 

I also wish to state that the Centre of Excellence is not in financial trouble.

Instead of seeking to discredit Jack Warner I wish to advise the “Piggy Partnership” to focus on correcting the sexual immorality and corruption scandals that are now plaguing the coalition and leave Jack Warner alone.

Comments  

Windies to tangle with dangerous Irish in World Cup qualifiers

LONDON, CMC – West Indies will go head-to-head with nemesis Ireland in their quest reach the International Cricket Council (ICC) 2019 Cricket World Cup, after being installed in Group A of the World Cup qualifiers in Zimbabwe starting in March.

Windies taking proactive approach, says Holder

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – West Indies captain Jason Holder says planning has already begun for the International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup qualifiers in March as the Caribbean side looks to book its spot in the 2019 one-day showpiece in England.

Gonsalves looks to return to winning ways

National lightweight champion, Dexter ‘Cobra’ Gonsalves will look to shake off some rust when he returns to the ring Saturday night at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on the ‘Bad Blood’ card.

Williams sets sights on CARIFTA gold

With his historic 2017 campaign officially in the rear view mirror, star athlete Daniel Williams and his coach, Johnny Gravesande have their sights set on an even better 2018 season.

St Louis, Chung granted injunction

A High Court judge has granted an interim injunction restraining the TT Table Tennis Association (TTTTA) from taking any further action pursuant to its decision to select players Aaron Wilson and Yuvraaj Dookram for the Commonwealth Games.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×