The ‘Sport of Kings’ returns to the Kennard Memorial Turf Club on May 18 with the staging of a pre-Independence horse race meet.
Six exciting races are billed to run off with the feature, D1 and Lower one-mile event fetching a half a million dollars first prize.
In the co-feature, Three-year-old West Indies bred (maiden) and Guyana Open race, the first horse will take home $300,000 for its owner.
Other races at the event include G1 and Lower ($300,000), I and Lower ($250,000), the J1 and Lower ($200,000) and the J3 and W/A ($150,000).
1. The races will be run under the rules of the Guyana Horse Racing Authority.
2) In the event that there are less than five horses entered for any event, the club reserves the right to cancel or reframe the said event or reduce the prize money after consulting with the horse owners.
3) Owners of horses must pay at least $5000 for each horse at the time of entry. If not paid, the horse’s name would not appear on the official programme and the horse will not be permitted to run.
4) Five horses to start before a third place prize is paid.
5) Seven horses to start before a fourth place prize is paid.
Entries close on May 11 and no late entries will be accepted.
Stable owners can contact secretary, Niketa Ross on 662-4668 to register their steeds.
Horses can also be entered with Roopnarine Matadial (Shine 325-3192), Ivan Dipnarine (331-0316), Justice Kennard Lovell (623-7609, 225-4818 or 226-1399), Isabella Beaton (693-7812) or Dennis Deroop (609-9143). (Emmerson Campbell)