ECB and Downton issue Pietersen apology

(Reuters) – The England and Wales Cricket Board and their managing director Paul Downton have apologised to Kevin Pietersen regarding comments he made about the former England captain earlier this month, British media reported yesterday.

Downton, who played an instrumental role in the decision to effectively end Pietersen’s international career in February, said the controversial batsman had become “disinterested” during their 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Australia.

Downton also said Pietersen had lost the support of the senior players in the England dressing room during the November to January test series but the batsman responded by saying his allegations were “wholly untrue”.

Pietersen also said: “I did, and continue to have a good relationship with most of the England players, which has been subsequently highlighted by a number of press interviews.”

The ECB released a statement yesterday expressing their regret over Downton’s comments.

“On May 22 during an interview on BBC Test Match Special, Paul Downton of the ECB made a series of comments about Kevin Pietersen with which Kevin takes issue including the comments he made regarding his perception of Kevin’s attitude during the Sydney Test on last winter’s Ashes tour,” they said.

“Some of those comments were made in breach of a settlement agreement between the ECB and Kevin Pietersen which was concluded at the time Kevin’s central contract was terminated earlier this year.

“Paul Downton and the ECB both apologise to Kevin Pietersen for those comments made that were in breach of the settlement agreement and have confirmed that they will abide by its terms moving forward.”

Pietersen was a member of victorious Ashes teams in 2005, 2009, 2011 and 2013 and is regarded as one of England’s greatest ever players having scored 8,181 runs in 104 test matches at an average of over 47.

England’s catastrophic Ashes tour also led to coach Andy Flower leaving his position along with batting coach Graham Gooch, while spinner Graeme Swann retired mid-series.

Comments  

Windies to tangle with dangerous Irish in World Cup qualifiers

LONDON, CMC – West Indies will go head-to-head with nemesis Ireland in their quest reach the International Cricket Council (ICC) 2019 Cricket World Cup, after being installed in Group A of the World Cup qualifiers in Zimbabwe starting in March.

Windies taking proactive approach, says Holder

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – West Indies captain Jason Holder says planning has already begun for the International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup qualifiers in March as the Caribbean side looks to book its spot in the 2019 one-day showpiece in England.

Gonsalves looks to return to winning ways

National lightweight champion, Dexter ‘Cobra’ Gonsalves will look to shake off some rust when he returns to the ring Saturday night at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall on the ‘Bad Blood’ card.

Williams sets sights on CARIFTA gold

With his historic 2017 campaign officially in the rear view mirror, star athlete Daniel Williams and his coach, Johnny Gravesande have their sights set on an even better 2018 season.

St Louis, Chung granted injunction

A High Court judge has granted an interim injunction restraining the TT Table Tennis Association (TTTTA) from taking any further action pursuant to its decision to select players Aaron Wilson and Yuvraaj Dookram for the Commonwealth Games.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×