Hughes celebrates recall with second double century

SYDNEY, (Reuters) – Phil Hughes celebrated his recall to the Australia one-day squad with a second unbeaten double century in a month against South Africa in an A team fixture yesterday.

The left-hander hit an unbeaten 243 from 440 balls with 26 fours and one six in a drawn four-day match at Townsville which continued a prolific run of form for the former test opener.

Last month, Hughes hit an unbeaten 202 in a one-day A match against South Africa to break the Australian record for an innings in a ‘List A’ match.

Despite his form, Hughes, who has been recalled and cast aside with morale-crushing regularity since making his test debut in 2009, only made the one-day team for the tour of Zimbabwe after Shane Watson was ruled out with injury.

Australia will play Zimbabwe and South Africa in a triangular series from Aug. 25-Sept. 6.

Comments  

Warriors blitz Stars

A resurgent Guyana Amazon Warriors side completed a comprehensive seven wickets victory over the out-of-sorts St Lucia Stars to cruise to their second consecutive home win in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) at the Guyana National Stadium, Providence, last evening.

By ,

Barcelona sue Neymar for alleged breach of contract

BARCELONA,  (Reuters) – Barcelona are suing Neymar for 8.5 million euros ($10.00 million) for breach of contract as they want him to return the bonus he was paid when he signed a new five-year deal just nine months before joining Paris St Germain, the Spanish club said yesterday.

Ronaldo loses appeal against five-match ban

(Reuters) – Cristiano Ronaldo will have to serve his five-match ban for pushing a referee after the Spanish sports court (TAD) rejected Real Madrid’s appeal against the length of the suspension, Spanish media reported yesterday citing court officials.

Western Tigers in last gasp draw with GFC

A 90th+3 minute strike secured Western Tigers a 1-1 draw with Georgetown Football Club (GFC), when the Corona Beer Invitational Football Championship continued on Monday at the GFC ground, Bourda.

GFF happy with u15 performance

Despite concluding the CONCACAF u15 Boys Championship with only one victory from four matches, Guyana Football Federation (GFF) President Wayne Forde said, he is delighted with the team’s overall performance.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×