Bourda man dies in hail of bullets

A Bourda resident was shot in a hail of bullets while standing outside a vulcanizing shop on South Road last night.

Dead is 40-year-old Randolph Singh of South Road, Bourda.

“All I hear is blam! Blam! Blam! About seven times” said an eyewitness, who was in the area at the time of the shooting. He said that at about 10:30pm, he saw a lone gunman walk up to Singh, who was in front of the Air Max Vulcanizing shop on South Road, between Light and Cummings streets with a few others.

He added that the gunman then ran east along South Road until he could be seen no more. Singh, he further mentioned, was left lying motionless, while another man who was also shot, ran west towards the junction at Cummings Street and South Road.

Within minutes the eyewitness said, Singh and the other man were rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH), where Singh was pronounced dead on arrival.

Although relatives were tight-lipped about the incident, an uncle who did not want to be identified told Stabroek News that the dead man had recently returned from the United States of America.

At the GPH, family members suggested that it might have been an attempted robbery, since Singh was said to be wearing a gold chain. However, when this newspaper visited the scene, the eyewitness rejected that suggestion, as he pointed out that the gunman walked up, fired seven shots and made good his escape.

Police ranks were seen at the crime scene looking for spent shells and speaking with those who witnessed the shooting.

The police this morning issued the following press release on the killing:

At about 2200h. last night Wednesday February 18, 2015, businessman Randolph Singh, 41 years, of Charlotte Street, Bourda, along with two of his employees, including Dilbert Mohamed, 33 years, were seated opposite Singh’s business place at South Road, Bourda, when a man armed with a firearm approached and discharged several rounds in their direction and escaped on a motor cycle.

Randolph Singh was hit about his body, while Dilbert Mohamed was struck to his right elbow.

They were taken to the GPHC where Randolph Singh was pronounced DOA, while Dilbert Mohamed was treated and sent away.

Investigations are in progress.

Around the Web