Mon Repos businessman on attempted murder charge over Mash night stabbing

A businessman was yesterday charged with the Mashramani night attack on Mon Repos resident Rajendra Singh, who was stabbed in the neck.

Vishnu Bickram, 35, of 224 Mon Repos, East Coast Demerara, was accused of attempted murder but denied the charge and was granted $150,000 bail.

During the court proceedings, Bickram appeared visibly distressed and kept folding his arms and tapping his feet continuously.

Prosecutor John Singh told the Sparendaam Magistrate’s Court that Bickram and Singh are friends but they are not speaking terms.

Singh said when the stabbing occurred, the victim and two friends were walking in a southerly direction on the Mon Repos public road.

He said that Bickram was driving and he came from the north end and he proceeded to cut the victim him off.

He then allegedly exited the vehicle and inflicted “one juk” to the left side of the man’s neck. This caused the man to lose consciousness and he was subsequently rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he was admitted for two days.

There was no objection to bail by the prosecutor and Magistrate Zamilla Ally set it at $150,000. Bickram is to return to court on May 21.

A relative of Singh had previously told Stabroek News that the man was hit with his assailant’s car before the wounding. “When de car come and knock he, he musse curse de man or something and de man jus come out de car, cut he throat, and drive way,” the relative said, while noting that Singh’s assailant used a cutlass.

Singh was subsequently picked up by public-spirited persons, who rushed with him to the Beterverwagting Police Station.

He was later transported to the Georgetown Public Hospital after the ranks observed the extent of the wound, which was bleeding profusely at the time, the relative said.

Afterward, relatives said Singh’s assailant went into hiding.

Around the Web

Comments