A man accused of stealing his neighbour’s property during a break-in was yesterday released on $75,000 bail, despite his neighbour’s attempt to withdraw the criminal complaint since he had been compensated.
Jevon Crawford, of Norton Street, Wortman-ville, denied that he broke and entered the home of Kenneth Marshall and stole a quantity of valuables and cash amounting to $160,000 in total.
According to Prosecutor Michael Grant, Marshall secured his home and left to take his daughter to school. Upon his return, he said, the man discovered that his door was open and the items mentioned in the charge were missing.
The prosecutor said that Marshall suspected Crawford to be the culprit.
But Marshall yesterday told the court that he was not willing to pursue the matter since he was compensated by Crawford, while some of the articles were recovered.
The Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry, who heard the case in Georgetown yesterday, said that she will consider Marshall’s statement.
However, she placed Crawford on $75,000 bail and the matter was adjourned to March 31.