(Trinidad Guardian) Two Muslim leaders were released from the Central Police Station, Port-of-Spain early yesterday afternoon.

Imam Yasin Abu Bakr and Imam Hassan Ali were released without charge on July 22, after being held there for three days. Abu Bakr and Ali were among several people detained by police in connection with the investigation into the murder of former Independent Senator Dana Seetahal.

Abu Bakr is the leader of the Jamaat al Muslimeen, while Ali is the father of reputed gang leader Rajaee Ali.

Nine members of the Jamaat-al-Muslimeen, including Yasin Abu Bakr, spent the night in police custody on Tuesday following their detention for questioning in the murder probe.

After being criticised for delaying the interrogation process after the arrests of the suspects during a well co-ordinated operation on Monday, homicide detectives reportedly stepped up their investigation on Tuesday.

The T&T Guardian understands Bakr was questioned for over two hours at the Central Police Station, St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain, Tuesday afternoon.

He reportedly stopped the interview after investigators had failed to question him on any issue related to Seetahal after almost two hours.

The T&T Guardian also was reliably informed that Rajaee Ali and his brother, Ishmael, were taken from their cells at the Maximum Security Prison, Arouca, and taken to the Arouca Police Station where they were cautioned by police in relation to Seetahal’s murder.


Both men were told they were being treated as suspects, advised of their legal rights and privileges and asked if they wished to make an official statement on the allegation.

The T&T Guardian could not confirm if or what response was given by the siblings, who have been in remand since they were charged with conspiring to murder radio announcer Kevaughn “Lurbz” Savory in December last year. They were returned to the prison after they were cautioned.

The siblings’ older brother, Hamid, their father, Hassan, and one of Rajaee’s wives, Stacy Griffith, are among the Jamaat members who were detained by police on Monday.

Around the Web