Accused cleared of $6M Survival Supermarket burglary

Milton Eastman, the accused burglar who was apprehended in the Survi-val Supermarket earlier this year, was on Friday cleared of a robbery charge by Magistrate Fabayo Azore.

It was alleged that between January 27th and January 28th, at Survival Supermarket, in George-town, Eastman, being together with others, stole 37 live rounds of .32 ammunition, a .32 magazine and $6M in cash, amounting to $6, 032,000, belonging to Parshuram Arjune, the owner of the supermarket.

Magistrate Azore found Eastman to be not guilty of the charge as she stated that the witness testimony had been unreliable and hence she was not satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the man had been the perpetrator.

Milton Eastman
Milton Eastman

According to the prosecution’s report, which was presented at Eastman’s arraignment, at about 11pm that day, Arjune secured his business and left for home. Sometime later, a security guard on duty heard noises coming from a section of the building and contacted Arjune, then went with a few other persons to investigate.

Three burglars were seen on the top floor of the supermarket but the group only managed to apprehend Eastman, who was later charged with the crime. The prosecutor’s report had stated that upon searching the accused, $2 million was recovered on his person.

The other two suspects in the robbery reportedly escaped on foot after firing rounds at the security guard.

 

 

Comments  

Chatelal forgives Yorke as loan repaid

(Trinidad Guardian)  “Dwight, I forgive you.” So stated reigning Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal in an open letter to former T&T and Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke yesterday, following the repayment of a $250,000 loan.

Exxon contract final -Harmon

The controversial Production Sharing Agreement (PSA) signed between the government and ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary and partners is final and will not be subject to any changes, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

NIS re-examining investment in Berbice Bridge, GM says

General Manager Holly Greaves yesterday said the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) is re-examining its investment in the Berbice Bridge after dismal returns over the past few years.

CARICOM staffer shot, robbed after bank withdrawal

A gunman yesterday afternoon shot and robbed a senior CARICOM Secreta-riat employee after he left the Republic Bank (Guyana) Limited branch at Triumph, East Coast Demerara (ECD), in what is the most recent attack on the bank’s customers.

President says confident in World Court cause

As Guyana celebrates 48 years as a Republic, President David Granger has reiterated his government’s intention to take the Venezuelan border controversy to the World Court and declared each citizen a protector of the nation’s sovereignty.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×