Please allow me to ask a few questions pertaining to recent revelations of government spending on medical procedures for ministers and others.
- Can the government explain by what mechanism this expenditure was approved?
- Were the expenses for ministers and their families part of a benefits package or in addition to?
- Did politicians from the other side of the aisle share similar access to this type of funding?
- If this funding is done legally, is there a limit to how much can be accessed by an individual?
- Is there an application process for this funding?
- Is the government going to commit to reform of this type of funding?
- Will the current opposition parties continue this practice or will they commit to ending it?
Our position as members of the Youth Movement Guyana is that the monies expended to provide medical services to a few should have been channelled into the local health sector for the benefit of the majority instead of a chosen few; the country is in dire need of dialysis machines, for example, and despite the harshness of the statement, the needs of the many do outweigh the needs of the few.
Youth Movement Guyana