Crabwood Creek man fatally stabbed in drunken confrontation

-suspect on the run

Ten minutes into the New Year, a Crabwood Creek, Corentyne man was fatally stabbed by another man during a confrontation. The suspect is on the run.

Dead is Asif Hafeez, 24, of Lot 72 Grant 1780, Crabwood Creek, Corentyne. Police said the incident occurred ten minutes after midnight on Friday. According to the police, Hafeez was imbibing with another man at Crabwood Creek when an argument ensued between them following which he was stabbed in the neck. Hafeez was rushed to the Skeldon Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Relatives denied that Hafeez was drinking with the suspect and said the two men had consumed alcohol at different locations. Hafeez’s wife Abiola Garnette told reporters that prior to the incident, she and her husband had a minor argument after they returned from a New Year’s Eve celebration.

Asif Hafeez
Asif Hafeez

The celebration was next door to the couple’s home. Garnette related that during the argument, a relative of hers who resides in the bottom flat of the home overheard and defended her. This, she said, caused her husband to get angry and he told the man to keep out but the man kept making comments.

As a result, Garnette said, her husband rushed downstairs to confront her relative. According to the woman, the two did not have an exchange of words as a rushing Hafeez pushed open the door to the bottom flat and threw a punch at her relative, who responded by stabbing Hafeez in the neck.

It was suggested that after the suspect heard Hafeez rushing downstairs, he armed himself with the knife and waited.

Garnette said when she saw the blood, she thought it was coming from her husband’s nose since she believed he was punched in the face. She said it was when he collapsed on the verandah that she saw the gaping wound. Hafeez had run to his bedroom, then to the verandah where he collapsed. Neighbours who were alerted by the sounds of distress, rushed Hafeez to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The 56-year-old suspect fled after the incident and has not been seen since.

According to Hafeez’s mother, her son would be involved in arguments but he was never involved in fights. The eldest of four, Hafeez leaves to mourn his wife, parents and three siblings.

Hafeez’s death was reportedly the first for this year. According to police reports, there have been three other murders for the two days of the New Year so far.

Investigations are continuing.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now