Duo charged over robbery of Rose Hall cambio dealers

-additional robbery, attempted murder charges read against accused

Two men, who were held after allegedly committing a brazen robbery on Rose Hall cambio dealers on Monday, were yesterday charged and one of them was faced with multiple charges, including armed robbery and attempted murder.

Curt Batson, 20, of New Market Street, Rose Hall and Kelvin Bates, 19 of First Street, Rose Hall yesterday had to answer to six charges of armed robbery, one charge of attempted murder and charges of possession of narcotics for trafficking and possession of arms and ammunition.

The men first appeared at the Reliance Magistrate’s Court before Magistrate Marisa Mittleholzer.

 Kelvin Bates
Kelvin Bates

However, Magistrate Mittleholzer recused herself from the matter, while saying that the father of the two cambio dealers recently appeared on a television broadcast and had maliciously attacked her character. She stated that she would be addressing the issue.

However, no objection was made to the magistrate reading the charges to the two defendant.

Batson and Bates are alleged to have robbed Anil Sukraj, 26, of $150,000 and Parsaram Dev Sukraj, 17, of $315,000 and two cellphones $29,000, while being armed with guns, on May 9, at Rose Hall Public Road, Corentyne. The men were not required to plead to the indictable charges.

It was alleged that Batson, on April 30, shot and wounded Samuel Fernandes, of Rose Hall, with the intent to murder. Batson was once again not required to enter a plea.

 Curt Batson
Curt Batson

Batson answered to charges of having in his possession 15 grammes of cannabis for the purpose of trafficking, possession of five .32 rounds of ammunition, while not being the holder of an ammunition licence and possession of a .32 revolver without being the holder of a licence, on May 9, at R&S Street, Belvedere, Corentyne. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Batson was also charged with robbing Vanisha Shrikissoon, while in the company of others and armed, on April 30, of $1,027,000, $112,000 worth of phone cards and $130,000 in jewellery.

Prosecutor Orin Joseph said bail should be refused since Fernandes is still in a critical condition at the hospital. He also stated that since the alleged incident, Bates had made several threats to Shrikissoon and may act on those threats if he is released.

Joseph also highlighted that Bates had been released on bail on another armed robbery charge. Both men were refused bail and the magistrate indicated that she will be sending all of the matters to the Chief Magistrate to be reassigned.

Bates was then subsequently taken to the Whim Magistrate’s Court, where he appeared before Magistrate Charlyn Artiga to answer a charge of larceny from the person. He was also refused bail there and is to return to court on May 30 for a police progress report.

Around the Web