Three dead, several injured in head-on collision at Richmond, Essequibo

Three persons are now dead and about 16 others are hospitalised following a head-on collision which occurred late Friday night along the Public Road at Richmond, Essequibo Coast.

Dead: Gavin Lawrie
Dead: Gavin Lawrie

Dead are Gavin Lawrie, 19, a farmer of Plantation Andrews; Levon Gray, 45, of 51 Public Road, Dartmouth and nineteen-year-old Esan Cornette.

Gavin Lawrie was driving a Toyota 212 motorcar which collided with a minibus. There were five persons in the car with him at the time: his uncle, Ruel Lawrie; two cousins, Maxwell and Maxton Lawrie and two friends Navin Radesh and Stephen Benn.

The driver of the minibus, Glenford Stephens, is currently admitted at the Suddie Hospital under police guard. He sustained injuries to his chest and is said to be in a stable condition.

The persons who were in the bus at the time were: Levon Gray, Esan Cornette, Kevin Brummell, Rodwin Barrington, Kevon Clay, Trevon John, Delroy Barrington, Kadeem Clay, Lansel Caesar, Rouvan Johnson, Anzel Cornette, Maxwell Lawrie and Aldran Shepherd.

Dead: Esan Cornette
Dead: Esan Cornette

Shepherd, Maxwell Lawrie and Clay were air dashed to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) where they remained up to yesterday afternoon, while the others were admitted as patients at the Suddie Hospital. Benn’s condition is listed as critical and he is said to be attached to a life support machine at the Suddie Hospital.

The accident occurred around 23:20 hrs.

The police in a press release said that the minibus and motorcar were travelling in opposite directions when they collided.

Gavin Lawrie, Gray and Cornette of Dartmouth, Essequibo were admitted to the Suddie Hospital where they subsequently succumbed, the release said.

However, unconfirmed reports reaching Stabroek News revealed that the occupants of the minibus were sporting and were heading to a popular

The mangled motorcar that was driven by Gavin Lawrie after the accident
The mangled motorcar that was driven by Gavin Lawrie after the accident

night spot in Anna Regina when the accident occurred. Both of the vehicles were severely damaged.

Stephens was reportedly speeding when he lost control of the minibus and collided with the car.  This newspaper was reliably informed that from all indications Stephens had negotiated a right bend just before the accident occurred. Both vehicles were severely damaged.

When contacted yesterday, Gavin Lawrie’s sister said she received a call about 3 am informing her that her brother had been in an accident and was taken to the hospital. She said she along with other relatives including her parents rushed to the hospital where they received the shocking news.

The mangled minibus after the accident
The mangled minibus after the accident

Gavin sustained massive head injuries and a broken leg and was bleeding internally. According to the grieving sister, she last saw her brother on Friday morning when he left for work. She said while she was not present when the accident occurred but was told that Gavin and the others had just dropped off a worker and were heading home when the accident occurred.

A cousin of Gray said she had received a call informing her of the accident and when she arrived at the hospital he had already died. She could not say where exactly he was heading at the time of the accident.

Efforts to contact the family of Cornette proved futile.

At the GPH, relatives of those who were air dashed were present in their numbers but they too was unable to say what exactly occurred. Also accompanying them were friends and concerned residents of the area where the accident occurred.

Speaking to this newspaper while her cousin, Shepherd was taken for x-ray, Andrea Marks, said she was at home when she received a message around 04:00 hrs yesterday informing her of the accident. Marks said she was later told that her cousin was among those who were air dashed and as a result she rushed to the hospital. She thanked Minister within the Ministry of Public Health Dr Karen Cummings for her quick response when contacted in ensuring that victims received speedy medical attention.

Shepherd sustained injuries to his ribs and hand as well as broken bones. He was taken to the operation theatre yesterday afternoon for surgery.

Investigations into the accident are ongoing.

Around the Web