Woman charged over providing false statement in Rose Hall murder probe

More than four months after the fatal shooting of Rose Hall resident Caitanya Kishundyal, a woman has been charged with perverting the course of justice after she allegedly provided the police with a false statement in relation to the murder.

This was confirmed by Commander of ‘B’ Division, Ian Amsterdam, who recently told Stabroek News that the investigation is still open. To date, no one has been charged with the murder. Shortly after the incident, three persons were arrested for questioning but were released after the 72-hour detention period allowed by law, expired.

Kishundyal, 21, of Lot 28 First Street, Swamp Section, Rose Hall, Berbice died on the evening of February 5 at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) Intensive Care Unit (ICU) some two days after he was shot to the abdomen with pellets by a lone gunman who attacked him as he entered his premises.

Caitanya Kishundyal
Caitanya Kishundyal

The police, in a statement, had said that the attack occurred at around 10 pm on February 3, while Kishundyal was closing the gate. The statement said that the youth was confronted by a man with a firearm during which a scuffle ensued and he was shot to the abdomen.

Home invasion was suspected to be the motive since three other men were seen hiding behind a fence.

The four men escaped and Kishundyal, despite being shot, tried to follow them before calling for his mother and collapsing. He was taken to the Port Mourant Hospital and transferred to the GPH the following day where he eventually succumbed.

This newspaper was informed that during the initial stages of the investigation, the woman allegedly provided the police with a statement in which she implicated at least two individuals as the perpetrators who shot and killed Kishundyal.

However, she reportedly returned afterwards and denied giving any such statement. She was recently charged with the offence and released on bail.



Around the Web