Suspected electrical fire guts house at Nigg

A young couple lost their home on Monday night when a fire, suspected to be of electrical origin, gutted their two-storey wooden house, located at Lot 102 Section G, Nigg, Corentyne.

The fire occurred around 10:30 pm. When Stabroek News, visited the scene yesterday, smoke was still issuing from the building.

The destroyed Nigg house
The destroyed Nigg house

According to neighbours, villagers were experiencing electrical problems on the night of the fire. One neighbour said, “Me light just keep going on and off, on and off”. Lucille Ayana, who lives two houses away, at Lot 99 Section G, Nigg, Corentyne, said, “It appear like it was low voltage in the area, because me light keep blinking, and then me neighbour get up to see what going on with he appliances and he see the fire and start holla and then me see the fire”. She explained that the fire began in the upper flat of the house. “Them had a store room downstairs, a big something”, she added.

According to Ayana, the couple who lived in the house, had been away visiting family, two days before Monday night.

Ayana said that it was she who phoned the fire service and that they arrived less than five minutes after the call was made. She recalled that after the entire house was engulfed in flames it began raining. Ayana believes that it was because of the rain that the fire did not spread to other houses.

Around the Web

Comments